Ch 9

I start to trudge up the stairs to school, annoyed that I’m grounded, I can’t go to my lesson after school. Nino ran up to me.

“Hey, dudette!” he called. A lot of other students shot him weird looks for trying to get my attention. I paused, waiting for him to catch up.

“First of all, I want to apologize for yesterday, I was feeling hurt thinking you were trying to poke fun at, you know, the whole situation. When Adrien told your side of everything and I was constantly being pestered by random ghosts, I started to get the sense that maybe you were being honest.” we found a secluded corner of the stairs to sit and talk. “However, I’m still mad about being possessed without my permission.” he raised an eyebrow at Adrien.

“But I do want to help and I am happy not to be too far in the dark so I guess I can’t be that mad.”

“If I told you though, would you still be okay with it?” I asked.

“I’m just going to continue lying to myself and say yes, but to be honest to you, no.”

I nodded. “That’s understandable.” we sat for a minute.

“So, who was that other ghost from yesterday and why isn’t she here?”

“Oh, that’s Alya, she can’t leave the school.”

“Why isn’t it the same for Adrien?”

“I, don’t know.” I hoped my book could maybe hold the answer. I don’t want to show Adrien and Alya it, I can’t tell them about the basement and Alya can’t leave so If I show Adrien, the corpse of his mother in the corner might leave him with a major mental scar. I could bring Nino down and he could help me, maybe. We’ll go to the library after school- wait, I’m grounded. I’ll figure something out.

“Hey, I’ll introduce you to her after school, I think you’ll like her.” I tried to bring up the mood.

“Cool.” he smiled as the bell rang for first period. “Well, I don’t want to be late for class, I’ll see you in math.” he waved, disappearing into school. Adrien stood awkwardly by me.

“Do you want to head in?”

“Kinda, I really want to pretend I’m in class.”

“Go on in, I’m just going to be here.” he nodded and followed Nino in. I moved my hands back to support myself as I relaxed in that spot. After a moment, I figured that it would be a good idea to apologise to Alya.

I went inside, looking around for Alya only to find her introducing herself to Nino, keeping him from class. I started down to joining the conversation but that was when they parted and Alya went to the locker rooms. I followed her in and found her by my locker.

“Hey Marinette!” she had a goofy grin decorating her face.

“Hi!” I came over. “What happened?”

“Nino said he liked my ombre hair.” she blushed.

“That’s great!” I congratulated her. I debated on telling her about the book. “Hey Alya?”

“Hm?” she looked at me curiously as I pulled out my necromancy book.

“Whoa! What’s that?” She stared at the book in awe.

“It’s a book on necromancy.” I cracked it open, there were hundreds of words decorating the page, I could read them. Further back in the book it’s harder but the first few pages are in my language.

“What does it say?” Alya inquired. I shot her an odd look.

“What do you mean? It's one of the few pages that aren't in latin.”