Ch 6

“Marinette!”

I didn’t realize I fell asleep until my dad found me as he was coming down for work. I opened my eyes and saw Adrien looking between us startled.

“Yes dad?”

“Why in the world were you sleeping on the couch? And where were you last night?!” My mom came down at the racket.

“Marinette? When did you get home?”

“I got in an hour or so ago.” I trailed off, I’m going to be honest with them.

“And what were you doing all night? Hm?” My mom questioned. “What could you have done to break your glasses like that?!”

“Um, I was at a party?” If I was going to lie, why couldn’t I have told a better one? No one would believe that!

My mom’s eyes filled with tears. “Oh my goodness! My daughter is finally normal!” She squeaked. Okay, so maybe one person would believe that. Also, thank you for the insult mom, makes me feel much better, do you really need to be this dramatic?

“Yeah, I’m sorry I was so late, well I’ll go get ready for school now.”

“Okay, I love you so much dear!” I froze on the stairs. I’ve heard her say that to me but it usually sounded like she was exhausted, now however, it sounded full of pride and warmth. I kinda wanted to cry just then, now I’m being dramatic, thanks for rubbing off on me mom.

I continued up into my room and changed into clean clothes. I finished getting ready. I searched through my drawers for my back up glasses which I hardly ever use, I never even thought I’d wear them until now.

I sipped them on, replacing my old ones and felt weird instantly. This always happens with new glasses, I felt like I was about to sneeze and everything looked the same yet off. I’ll get used to them soon.

I met Adrien at the base of the stairs, my parents at work.

“Nice glasses, they look really nice on you. I mean, so did the other ones but these too.”

“Thank you.” I blushed. “Ready to convince Nino?” I turned serious, trying to calm myself.

“Yep!” He seemed a bit too sure about his friend but I can’t blame him, Nino hasn’t really broken Adriens trust yet and I never really knew him to start.

We made our way out and started to school. At the entrance, I saw lots of people milling about, chatting with their friends or just waiting. I caught sight of Nino approaching the school, headphones blocking all other noises.

I ran up to him, he didn’t catch sight of me until I tapped his shoulder. He jumped a bit, startled which merged into curiosity in why I’m trying to talk to him. He paused his music and let his headphones rest around his neck.

“Yes? Can I help you dude?”

“Could we talk?”

“Sorry dudette, I’m busy.”

“I promise it will be fast, trust me, I’m not too keen about talking with you either, but it’s about Adrien.”

“Hold it right there, no, I will not help you get a date with him. If that's all you wanted then I think we’re done here.”

He started walking away. “H-hey! Wait!” I ran to catch up with him. “That wasn’t even what I was going to say!”

He stopped and looked at me. “Weren’t you the girl who went skating with him? Isn’t it your fault he’s in the hospital?”

“Where are you getting your facts?”

“Chloe, why?” he raised an eyebrow.

“You believe Chloe?” I was shocked to say the least. “You know what? I don’t care, believe what you want, I just need you to hear me out for like a minute or so and then you can choose what you do with what I tell you.” the bell rang almost as soon as I finished.

“Okay dudette,” he sighed. “I’ll meet you at lunch and you can tell me what ever it is you want to tell me, does that work for you?”

“Yeah, sure.” I watched everyone around me head up into the school, I have a free first period but always come early to keep Alya company.

I looked around for Adrien, where did he go? I could have sworn he was by my side just a moment ago before I started talking with Nino. I finally managed to spot him at the entrance, waiting patiently for me. My pace quickened and I made my way over.

“What’s your first period?” He asked as I got closer.

“I’ve got a free period, we’re going to meet Alya.” I stated, pausing in front of him before motioning to follow me to the locker rooms. There usually are a lot of people killing time in there during the day but most were in class. Normally if you have a free period in the mornings, people want to sleep in at home so the few people in the locker rooms would be those hiding from teachers as they ditch class. I go over to my locker, most avoid it because of me and my ‘claim’ to see ghosts, thinking it’s contagious which is stupid.

“Hey Alya?” I whispered softly to my locker. There were a few seconds before I saw her pop her head through the metal.

“Marinette! I missed you girl!” she smiled, yet to notice Adrien. Her gaze soon caught sight of the other ghost behind me. “Wait, is that, Adrien?”

“Ah, so you are real.” He observed. If he wasn’t a spirit, I would have elbowed him in the ribs for that.

“No, I’m merely a figment of your imagination Adrien, can you not see the horn and crown?” she pointed her finger and put it up to her forehead mimicking a unicorn. She had the most serious look on her face through it. “I’m clearly a magical unicorn princess from the land of dreams or whatever.” I could just barely see her lips twitch into a humors smile for a split second. Adrien looked astonished.

“Really?” he squeaked. “My mom used to tell me that unicorns can grant wishes, I have some I’d like granted please, if that alright your majesty.”

Alya couldn’t contain her laughter anymore and if she wasn’t dead already, she would have died from giggles just then. “I’m starting to like you more and more now. Hi, yes I’m Alya, it’s a pleasure to finally meet you formally Adrien.” she held out her hand and finished making her way out of the locker.

“Hi Alya, it’s also a pleasure to meet you.” he awkwardly shook her hand.

“So,” Alya looked between the two of us, leaning back. “What did I miss?”

----------

(You can skip this if you want.)

-Yay! I updated early this time!

I want to apologise for the unicorn princess bit really quick cause I know it was bad and horrible dialogue, I just wanted to make a not so subtle nod to a line of Alya’s from the actual show. I just wanted to give more parallels to this and the show.

Also, with the beginning, for the Marinette’s lie, I know it was a bad lie, I have no excuse for it, I myself don’t really go to parties, my parents force me to go to the swim teams party’s but I’ll just sit by the snacks and ignore everything so I really don’t know what happens at parties exactly. My parents wouldn’t believe me if I told that lie but for some reason my brain thought ‘Yes, this is a good lie for Marinette to tell, no problems in it whatsoever.’ As you can see, my brain was wrong, as always, I sincerely apologise on its behalf.

On the new glasses thing, it’s true, putting on new glasses makes me feel like I’m going to sneeze, same thing with cleaning my glasses except less so. Me and my family also feel like we can finally see after changing/ cleaning glasses because we’ll clean them twice a year a dust builds up on them, ash now too because of the fires all around us, we’re lucky not to have them too nearby but the sky is clouded with smoke and it’s close enough to be a concern.

Sorry that’s a lot, I’m sorry for rambling in this author's note and I probably made no sense. I’m going to work to fix my writing for the next chapter. I’m sorry. I promise to do better.