Chapter Nine

The four mothers were feeling different. 

Aragon couldn't be prouder of her daughter, fifteen and already responsible. She thought maybe they could spend time together later.

Jane was happy that she could finally spend time with her son. With Mary showing her the way, maybe Edward could finally have a real mother.

Anne felt content. Elizabeth loved her, she loved Elizabeth. She was grateful to Mary for loosening up, and giving her more of the mom job. Elizabeth seemed to be happiest now that she had her mother back.

Cathy was upset. She wasn't a good mother. Mary took better care of Mae then she ever could. Maybe Mary could give her some tips.

The kitchen table had magically expanded overnight, so it could fit everyone. Aragon and Mary sat near each other, and Lizzie had sat between Mary and Anne. Edward was opposite of Lizzie, and next to his mother. On his other side was Anna. Katherine and Cathy took up the other seats. Katherine still held Mae, because Mae already had her breakfast.

Mary looked at Cathy, who looked at her plate, then looked at Mae, who seemed content in Katherine's arms. "Cathy." She said. "If you want, I can show you how to take care of Mae."

Cathy smiled and nodded. "Thanks Mary. That'd be great." Then she turned to Katherine. "Kitty, can I hold her?"

Kitty nodded, and passed Mae carefully to Cathy, who did her best to support the infant. Mary nodded across the table when she noticed Cathy did it correctly.

Aragon turned to her daughter. "Mary, do you want to have some mother-daughter time later? I found this fun activity called mani-pedis that we can have done at this place I found online."

Mary nodded enthusiastically. "Of course Mom! I'd love to."

Aragon smiled. Lizzie was showing Anne her doll from Mary. "It's my only toy from when I lived with Daddy." She said.

Anne nodded. "He didn't let you have any toys?"

"No. But Mary was nice and made me this on the first birthday you were gone."

Anne sent a thankful look to Mary.

Edward and Jane were talking. Just talking. But Jane couldn't be happier.

"Do you want to go to school Mary?" Aragon asked.

"Yes I do. I have to blend in. And if I go, Lizzie should go to kindergarten. It would be good for her."

Anne looked up from her pancakes. "No way." She protested. 

Aragon whispered, "No way." To herself, and scribbled the words down on a napkin.

"My Lizzie can't leave me and go to school in the outside world!" Anne continued. "All she'll want to do is hang out with her friends instead of me!"

"All you wanna do." Katherine mumbled, before writing it down on her arm.

"She can't leave me! She won't need my love anymore! I don't have a heart of stone you know!"

"I don't need your love." Cathy muttered, typing it into her open laptop.

"Heart of stone." Jane murmured, before writing it down.

"Get down from the table Anne." Mary said. 

"Get down!" Cleves exclaimed in a hushed down as she typed it into her phone.

"Yeah mommy. Don't lose your head over something like that. I'll always love you."

"Don't lose your head." Anne said out loud, scribbling it down onto her hand.

"What are you ex-wives talking about? You're just repeating each other."