Chapter 28 - Red Roses

Start from the beginning

He shrugged. "I'm not Scarlett, so I don't know what would do the trick. I think you should just be yourself and try not to let all those rumors about you get to her head."

"How do I do that? Those rumors destroy me and make me look like a horrible person."

"Like I said, James, be yourself around her. When she knows the real you, she'll learn to trust you and not rumors."

I smiled. "Thanks, J, you always know how to help me. I think I know what to do now."

Jackson stood up and brushed the leaves off his lap. "That's my boy," he said while ruffling my hair. "Look, I gotta go, but let me know when you're down to hang."

"Alright," I waved, "see ya."

He waved and walked away.

I sat in the rain in silence for a little while longer, feeling the cool breeze graze my skin. If deep down she does like me, I'm going to break her and find out the truth. It's the only way I'll survive this friendship of ours.

I won't stop until I have her.

***

Scarlett

I was so stressed with all my AP work that I just wanted to rip it all up and run away from home for the rest of my life. I was so done with school and life in general. I just wanted to get away from it all.

A couple days had gone by since I talked to James. I never had time to talk to him because of all my work, and in class I would usually ignore him. Part of me felt bad for being so blunt to his face, but the other didn't feel bad and thought what I said was the right thing.

The part that felt bad was winning.

The fact that he was on my mind too made me even more stressed. I wanted to text him and talk to him but I didn't want to annoy him. It's an awful feeling to feel like texting the person you want to talk to the most will be annoyed by you.

I closed my laptop and sighed with stress. I was finally done with my homework, but it didn't feel as relaxing to be done as it usually does.

My eyes darted to my phone.

Maybe if I just text him...

A knock at the front door made me jump.

I hurried down the stairs. "Just a second!" I yelled out. I was the only person home, but I absolutely hate answering the door. That's when my social anxiety kicks in.

I opened the door. "Hi-''

James stood tall in the doorway. "Hello, Scarlett."

I looked down at his hands and saw the bouquet of red roses he was holding.

I blinked. "W-What is this?"

He slyly smiled. "An apology gift. I'm sorry for making you wear my jersey. I didn't realize how upset that would make you."

With nervous hands, I grabbed the flowers. "Thank you. You didn't have to get me these, but I really appreciate it."

"Yes, I did."