Chapter 12 - Whispers on Her Neck

Scarlett

Before we sat down at the dinner table, James introduced himself to my dad. It's only been ten minutes and so far my dad really enjoys James's company (what a shocker...literally). My dad is overprotective and doesn't like when I hangout with boys but for some reason I feel like he will make James an exception. My dad doesn't even like Ian as much as he likes James, which is sad because Ian is over all the time.

There was mischief and amusement in James's eyes as I glared at him. Sadly, he sat next to me at the dinner table.

He knew I was hating this.

I glanced at the clock, checking to see how many more minutes left of my misery.

The clock read: 6:24pm

I tightened my fist. Dammit.

"So," my mom started as she set down our plates. "How did you and Scarlett meet?"

I looked to my right at James and noticed how well-mannered he was. He had his napkin in his lap and he didn't start eating until everyone got their food and sat down. He even took of his beanie to show respect.

"We have second period English together," James stated.

My mom and dad finally sat down at the table across from James and I.

"So that's how you guys started talking?" my mom asked, confused.

"Well, I made the first move to talk to her because secretly..." James leaned toward my parents, covering his mouth with his hand so I couldn't see.

"...I have a tiny crush on her," he whispered to them, then leaned back in his chair.

Even though he whispered, I could still hear and I glared at him.

"Aw! A boy has a crush on our babygirl!" my mom exclaimed, grasping onto my dads hand.

I put my hands over my face and groaned. "Mom!!"

This was so humiliating.

James looked down at his food. On everyone's plates, there was mashed potatoes and slices of steak.

James picked up his fork, stabbed it into the steak and took a bite.

His eyes bulged out of their sockets. "This is the most amazing steak I have ever tasted! You need to become a professional chef, Mr. Jenson!"

"What?" My dad looked suprised. "No, you're being too nice," my dad said with flattery. He really likes compliments when it comes to his cooking.

"I'm being serious!" James exclaimed, taking another bite of the steak.

"Thank you, son! My own daughter never compliments my food." My dad glared at me.

"Come on, dad. You know I love everything you make," I reassured him as I devoured the steak.

He nodded as if he didn't care. Then he went back to talking to James. "What sports do you play?"

"I'm on varsity football and soccer," James told him triumphantly.

My dad seemed impressed. "Wow, what an athlete!"

James laughed. "Yeah."

"Do you have good grades?" My mother joined in on the conversation. I sat there listening.

"I have A's and B's, ma'am."

"What colleges are you looking at?"

"Standford and Cornell."