He ignored that lie. "Do you want me to reheat that?"

She shook her head.

Unaware of her concerns, Gray reached forward, "Regan, here. Let me hold that." He reached for the bowl. It was obvious that something as simple as holding a soup bowl was tiring. Probably why she took the banana and the glass to her bedroom, because he would see she would struggle. "Ok, now try." He watched as she dipped the spoon into the bowl. He would have much preferred to have fed her, but it was equally important to leave her with some measure of pride. He knew how important that was. Knew that she was probably keenly aware of the fact that he had seen the state of her cupboards.

Regan decided it was best if she ate, as she needed energy. Her herd were waiting for her. Just a shame that even using a spoon took energy. What chance did she have with her herd? How would she open the gates, or detach the cows from the cups in the milking shed, or any of  the various aspects of milking, like washing or disinfecting the areas. Just thinking about those jobs was enough to sap any residue energy in her system.

Unaware of her concerns, he was happy, seeing her drinking her soup. "There you go." He smiled when she swallowed a spoonful of soup. 

Some half a dozen spoons later she leaned back against the pillows. If she continued to stare at him, she was pretty sure she'd start drooling, which really wouldn't help her drinking her soup. So she waved his palm and the bowl away.

He asked, "Had enough?" She nodded. "Ok, here, give me the spoon." He took that from her and placed the bowl and spoon on the cabinet.

She flicked him a quick assessing glance and wondered if she could forget her pride and ask him to do her a favour and do the evening milking. It would not be easy, as it was way past milking time. The herd might be close to the shed or might have moved further out and finding them in the darkness would make it hard. She felt near to tears. Exhaustion and hunger were awful bedfellows. Not quite meeting his eyes, she said, "Er," She bit her lower lip, and then took a breath, and said, "Look, I know you don't work for me, but, er," She stalled, because she wasn't quite sure how to broach the subject.

Gray's eyebrows quirked. "And?"

Her courage and her true nature resurfaced, but she sounded miserable when she said, "I haven't milked the herd." She sighed when she owned up. She was trying desperately not to cry. Obviously she had walked under a ladder, given her bad luck recently. Well, for the last few years at least, she reminded herself.

"I know." Gray confirmed. "I have." He said in a normal voice, despite the fact he was worried about her.

Her brain was still addled, "You have?" Mustering all her faculties, "My herd? Or yours."

"Yours." Gray said bluntly. That sobered her.

"Today?" Her elbows sunk into her mattress as she tried to prop herself. Shame her mobility resurrected her dizziness.

"Yes."

She looked away and then turned around and looked at him, no sign of pride, or dignity in her tone, she rambled, "I can't pay you at the moment. Well, actually, I do have it in the bank, not just in my bag. I ran out of cheques last month, and I forgot to order a new book."

"Consider it a freebie." Gray said frankly. She began to say something, but his warning glance stopped her. "But, we need to talk. Given you are awake." He sounded guarded but firm.

"About?" She asked in a controlled voice.

"Your farm."

Her eyes widened in astonishment. "My farm?" She thought he wanted to talk to her about her health. No doubt he would tell her to take care of herself, to eat, to drink water, take the antibiotics, and stay in bed.

He said frankly, "I can't milk your herd, I have a full time job." He pinned her to the spot.

Her eyes widened even further, and pride took over. She snapped, "I know. I wasn't expecting you to..."

His tone brooked no argument when he interrupted her, "You're far too exhausted to work here. Get help with your farm!" She was advised. She barely managed to use the spoon to eat her soup, there was no way she could manage milk-shed or her herd, for at least the next few days.

"Gosh. Never thought about that!" She said with sarcasm. "Of course, get help. Perfect. Thank you for that insightful idea."

He ignored her sarcasm, "You are welcome." He added his brand of sarcasm to hers. "Now that you know that, what are you going to do?"

"Get help." She flared angrily. "Obviously!" Defiance was written in her face.

"And?" He stepped over this particular minefield, and stepped onto another, "Can you pay?"

"Yes." She snapped. Well, part-time at least, she thought.

"The normal, minimum wage?"

"Yes."

"Then why haven't you done that?" He was incensed and was suppressing an urge to yell at her, because he could see in her eyes indications of the tiredness she was trying to stave off. She looked beat despite having soup.

"Because someone, kindly," she flashed him an insincere smile, "warned off any potential worker!"

"Me?" He snorted. "Are you kidding?"

"About what? The fact you warned off potential workers?"

"I have never talked to my workers about working for you." Bloody woman! He dragged a hand through his hair.

"Really?" She snapped.

He lost the last vestiges of patience. "None of our workers asked about you. Because none wanted to leave, they are happy with their jobs! So why would I tell them about you?"

"Let me see if I can remind you." She narrowed her eyes. "See if you can recognize this. I think you said, something like, I guess word is out that you want something for nothing."

"When?" He frowned.

"At the café in town. You had the delightful Caro beside you." She glared. "And if I remember correctly, she said this is a small town."

"It is a small town." Gray confirmed bluntly.

"Yes, exactly. Word travels fast." She silently chanted a mantra, stay calm, but couldn't, despite the fact she was too tired to fight. "You, or her, not sure for certain, but I think you said, that people wondered why someone like you left my farm? Remember that? Ostensibly you explained: Told them I barely paid you! That your grandfather was working for me, for free. If I remember it correctly, you labelled it slave labour. Remember?"

Gray recognised the episode and he wished he hadn't said that back then. "I see."

"Good. Great. I see you remember that. It would explain why no one, not even transients had applied to work on the farm despite my advertisement for nearly two months. We have a wonderful local grapevine?" Regan pinned a smile to her lips. "So tell me, how can I attract a local to work at my farm with your recommendation?"