One

"I'm sick of you!!", said Divya. "Why can't you come with me for a single party?"

"It's been three months that you have moved and now you don't even want to come and socialize? What will people think about you?"

"I don't care Divya, I don't want to come to that stupid party of yours. I have a lot of work to do", I say firmly.

"Not this time again! I'm tired of your stupid excuses. I have made up my mind to take you with me for sure and if you don't listen I have my ways."

I know she can go to any extent to get her work done. I was wondering what was going on in that evil head of hers. I stayed silent. She picked up her phone and called someone.

"Hey listen Shivin! I can't make it. Adhya is busy and I have decided not to come without her."

WHAT? This was her plan, to emotionally drag me into this. I tried to snatch the phone from her but in vain. She hung up.

Shivin is Divya's boyfriend and Divya is my roommate/colleague/the only close friend I have in this city. I am new to Mumbai. Leaving Hyderabad was the biggest decision I had taken. Coming to a completely new place to work was something that I had never dreamt before. When I initially came to Mumbai I stayed as a PG. But Divya insisted that I stay with her in her flat as she wanted a roommate. So I started staying with her. And yes I'm Adhya Kumar. I am working in Citi Bank as an Associate Manager. 

"What the hell Divya?? Why did you drag me into this?" 

"I didn't drag you into anything. I simply said I'm not going if you are not coming."

"Oh really you think this is funny? It's Shivin's birthday and you have to be there, you have been waiting for this like months now. You don't have to spoil this because of me."

"I'm not spoiling anything. I just want you to be there in my boyfriend's birthday party", she said.

"I don't know anyone there. You know I'm boring and can't talk to anyone. People are going to think what kind of uncool person did Divya get into the party. Your reputation is going to be ruined."

"Nothing like that. I just want you to be there with me. You have become very close to me in a very short time and I connected with you very well. This is a very special day for me and I want you to be there with me. Can you please do that for me, once? Shivin's going to love it if you be there. Please say yes."

I didn't want to turn her down but parties and me that never came in a single line. I hated parties. I hated to meet new people. I get awkward around them. But this was for Divya, I had to do this.

"Okay, this one time I'm coming with you. But you have to promise me that you wont force me next time"

"Sure", she said. "Thank you darling, I love you"

"Now call Shivin and tell him" 

"Why call, this was his plan. Such a smarty pants he is! This plan of his worked out"

"What you guys planned and trapped me into this. This is not done. I'm not coming"

"You can't back out sweetie you promised. And yes I have to tell you there is a cute boys alert for you. I have planned to set you up."

"In your dreams. I am happy being single why do you want to ruin my happiness?"

She smiled and left into her room. Little did I know that the course of my life was about to change.