Fourteen

My eyes were glued to the television when Arjun entered the field. India was batting first. Arjun was sent at number four. The score was 62-2 in 8 overs which is pretty decent. As usual Arjun played very well. Everybody in the stands were cheering for him. He played very well against spin. Again he scored a quick half century. When he waved the bat and celebrated his half century, I tinted up a little and was feeling really proud of him. So India made a total score of 193-7, where Arjun scored 77 in just 35 balls.

I was all excited for second innings. After the innings break, the batsmen and the fielders took their positions. England was trying hard to score well in the power-play. But somehow we managed to take a wicket and send their powerful batsman back to the pavilion. The game kept progressing well and we were almost in the winning zone. Suddenly while saving a boundary, Arjun injured himself. Initially everyone thought it was a small bruise, but he was not in a position to get up. So the physio came in and checked on him. He took Arjun back to the dugout. The noisy stadium became still when Arjun was leaving the ground. But India comfortably won the match and Arjun was named the Man of the Match. The captain took the award on behalf of Arjun. When a journalist asked about Arjun, he said they'll have to run some tests and find out as it was a shoulder injury.

I was eagerly waiting for Arjun's call. I was feeling restless. I was scared as well. After a long wait Arjun called me up.

"How are you? How's the shoulder? Are you able to move it? How can you be so careless? Do you even know how tensed I was? Why didn't you call me earlier? Are you there? Why aren't you talking anything?"

"I will talk if you give me a chance"

"Sorry. Go on"

"I'm fine. I'm able to move my shoulder so I don't think it's going to be a big injury. I am icing the area so hopefully it gets better soon. They are going to run some tests tomorrow, so the whole problem will be understood properly tomorrow."

"Oh! Why didn't you take your award today. I thought you were fine, but when you didn't come to take the award I started to get tensed"

"What you won't even congratulate me now? You are directly getting to the point always?"

"Sorry. Thank you. Oops, I m..m..mean congratulations. I am so proud of you!!"

"Thank you! Now coming to your question, I was in pain, so I was icing my shoulder so couldn't go to get my award"

"Okay. Will you be playing in the next match?"

"I really don't know. It totally depends on the reports tomorrow so fingers crossed. I just hope it's a small injury and I get to play the tests. You know how desperate I'm to play the tests right?"

"Yeah. Don't worry. Everything will be positive. So what plans for tomorrow?"

"Nothing actually. Wait. Would you join me for lunch? You and Rohan I mean. I couldn't meet him today, so I would like to make it up to him. My treat, at the team hotel"

"Sure. We'll be there"

"I think I have to go now. It's a series win for us. So there is a small celebration now. I'll have to go"

"Fine. Enjoy yourself. Bye"

----------------------

The next day, Rohan and I reached the team hotel and I called Arjun.

"Hi. I'm in my room. Come to room number 408"

After we went there Arjun welcomed us. Rohan was so thrilled that he was on cloud nine. He spoke to Arjun over the phone but this was the first time he met him in person.