No News is Bad News(33)

Dipper POV

A week had gone by, and being here was honestly worse that lock down in Gravity Falls. I couldn't go back to school because it was summer, and so far they haven't let me leave the house. Too afraid I would make a run for the nearest bus stop.

They're not wrong of course, I would. But I haven't found the right opening.

Mabel sleeps in my room and Stan sleeps downstairs on the couch right next to the door. It wasn't impossible but it is definitely a challenge.

I've been so cooped up I think I would go mad. All because of that freaking journal. If Mabel hadn't stolen it in the first place I would not be in this right now. I could be back in Gravity Falls ignorantly enjoying the summer, none the wiser of that stupid journal and the stupid "dangerous God" that everyone so feared. I would hear about it from the bus driver and just ignore it as just tourist trap nonsense. The Stancakes my Grunkle is making right now would have actually sounded good to me, I would have come down rickety old shack stairs to the termite infested kitchen, instead of being home and ignoring my sisters call for breakfast for the third day in a row.

I wasn't feeling good. Really I felt like I was dying, refusing food again made my stomach rebel. I hadn't actually felt hunger in days, but the headaches were outstanding, I was starting to get used to the constant throbbing of my brain trying to escape my skull. Maybe it can get out, go inhabit some other human, maybe one that takes better care of itself or isn't locked up all day.

I laid down, I've barely left my room, moving between my desk and my bed. I was writing nonsense now, less about Bill or the forest or gravity falls or the journal. Pure untamed crazy, the absolute ravings of a mad man...

"Dipper."

"Go away Mabel."

"You should eat something."

"Mabel."

"Fine."

I heard her footsteps lead away from my door. It was a daily conversation, a dance we did around every meal that I turned down. She's been a lot less pushy, a lot less like herself since we got home. She looks at me with pity in her eyes. I hated it, she's the one that turned me in, in the first place. She has no right to look at me like that. Wendy should have been more careful, she got followed and Mabel found me than turned straight around and told our grunkles. Now here I am.

Over the week an ache in my chest has added to the party in my head, I found it hard to sleep, or to even get comfortable in my own bed. It was starting to feel like each hour my heart bursted then slowly stitched itself back together just to explode all over again. I pressed my hand to my chest, took a deep breath and closed my eyes.

I went back.

I felt myself float back up into the sky, I pulled my arms closer to my chest. Like I could wrap my arms around him again. Hold on tight out of pure free of falling. But then we started spinning and I could remember forgetting that we were even off the ground and that we were even real. The feeling of his breath behind my ear, or the press of his arms around my back, as the sky spun around us drifting me off to sleep that night.

Another knock at the door woke me from the blissful dream I had almost lulled myself into.

"Mabel."

"Not Mabel." I turned to see Stan in my doorway.

"I say the same thing to you as I would to her if it doesn't matter to me." I growled sitting up.

"She did the right thing you know." he leaned on the doorframe.

"The right thing to you, not me. I would be better back in Gravity Falls right now."

He crossed his arms. "Gravity Falls is actually what I wanted to talk with you about."

I pulled my legs up under me and leaned back against my wall, "Alright, come in you have my attention." He did as I said closing the door behind him before pulling up my desk chair.

"I haven't heard from my brother since the day after we left."

I raised a brow at him, "and...?" I asked.

"We talked about it, you were to leave Gravity Falls and he would make sure to keep in touch with me. I would update him on you." he paused when I growled at him, crossing my arms over my chest, digging my nails into my arm, "And he would keep me updated about Gravity Falls and the God. But he hasn't."

"I'm sorry it might be that I'm going stir crazy but, I don't follow you?" I tried to connect the dots, but I didn't see the problem. Ford is a recluse that gets so drawn into his work that he black outs the real world and easily forgets about everything around him.

"I know something's wrong."

"And your point?" I asked.

He paused, and the sleep deprived sarcastic side of my brain kicked in before he responded. "Oh right, you're going to just leave me here under the watchful eye of Mabel while you go and drag Ford out of his hole of a office, because we both know he's just drowning himself in his work looking for the solution to a problem that doesn't exist."

He scowled at me, but didn't say anything.

"Wait really? You're really going." I paused I had to chose my words carefully, it's a good thing he's thinking of leaving, it's stupid, but a good thing for me. "You know it's nothing right?"

"I don't think so." he said.

"Ok- why are you telling me, do you suddenly care what I think? Last I checked I'm possessed or some magical shit like that, because there's no way that Bill isn't evil. Remember?"

He rolled his eyes at me. "Is there anything that God could or would do to Ford now that you're out of town?"

I paused for a second, Bill's harmless but he's lost his cool before, but the last time it was because I left with his journal. I don't have one with me now so, He's harmless.

"I think. I think that Ford in holl up in his office and that Bill has nothing to do with this at all." I said but I could tell he wasn't going to believe me, honestly I can't believe he came to me.

He stood, I had to resist the urge to ask him more about his plan to leave town, I can't believe he's doing this.

He closed the door behind him leaving me alone again.

To think about the repercussions of Stan leaving town.

Mabel POV

"You're just leaving??" I shouted, Stan and I had been sitting downstairs watching Tv when he mentioned his upcoming field trip to me. "We've only been here for little over a week, Dipper is still refusing to eat or even come downstairs and you're just going to leave??"

"Mabel, I'll be gone for 2-3 days at the most, it's not that long you can watch over Dipper for a weekend. He might even feel more comfortable if it's just the two of you here." He tried to calm me down.

But it was not working. "He hates me." I hissed, "he won't warm up to me."

"He doesn't hate you." he tried.

"No he does, I'm the one that told you where he was." I whined. I hate going anywhere near his room, the guilt I felt every night staying in his room was agony.

"He'll come around. I'm going to pack my bag, ok?"

I nodded, he was going whether I wanted him to or not.

Maybe that's not a bad thing.

_______________________________________

Gosh my little heart is so torn, I love/hate Mabel and I did her so dirty in my last book that I'm thinking of redeeming her a little in this one.