N I N E

Julie walked over to where Violet sat, erasing and rewriting lyrics. "V?" she asked. 

Nothing.

"Vi? Violet?" Julie shook her making her jump. Violet talks with her head down, "I know you are probably way more sad than you look. But I stack up my stresses until it breaks and..." Violet looks up with tear marks on her face, "I think I broke." "honey.." Julie sighs, sitting down with her arm wrapped around Violets shoulders. "I somehow already wrote a song is like 5 minutes, which I think that's the fastest I've ever written." Violet sighs. "Look on the bright side, you have new song." Julie tries to comfort. "I know I'm not the only sad one and they are only 15 minutes late but Luke promised and this whole thing is stressing me out. and oh my god, I think I just found a new song. It's gonna be called 'Stress Me Out' and it's gonna be abou-" Violet starts to talk fast. "okay, I'm gonna leave you to it." Julie stands up. 

~~~

"I can only stall for so long. It's 11:00. I think you two should just play by yourselves. I mean, holograms or no holograms, you two will be amazing." Flynn tells the two other girls backstage. "you saw me the other day," Julie looks up, "I can't play without them." 

"what about you V?" Flynn looks at her in the corner, "You preformed by yourself in music." Violet looks up with mascara down her cheeks, "I can't go out there like this." "They'll be here. They have too." Julie retorts. 

"Issues?" Nick walks up to Julie. Violet immediately puts her head down, not wanting to be seen by her used-to-be best friend. "Always. My machine won't work." Julie sighs. Nick picks it up. "You don't have too." she starts. Nick follows the cord to see it still in Julies hand, "Here's the problem." He plugs it in and turns it on and off with no problem. "That is unless... you didn't want it plugged in." Nick stands. He then lets out his hand, helping Julie up. "Hey, don't let this crowd freak you out. What I saw last time you played was insane. You got this. I knew you had it in you." He goes on stage. "wait, what?" Violet stands, "what is he doing?" 

"hey everybody! We fixed the hologram thing. Who wants to see a show?" Nick hypes the audience. "Now... give it up... for JV and the Phantoms.!" 

Julie looks at Violet who nods her head, Julie walks onto stage. 

"hi.. so here's the thing... even though we got the machine fixed, thanks to Nick." Julie lets the crowd cheer, "we can't seem to link up with the guys. Wi-Fi, am I right?..... I'm sorry but we're gonna have to cancel." 

The crowd is silent.

"Anybody know the Heimlich, Julie's choking." Carrie walks up the steps, "only one way to save this dance.. Who wants to see Dirty Candy?" the crowd cheers. Carrie goes for the button right as Flynn tears it off. "oops. Knobs broken." Carrie glares at her, "Okay, two can play this game." She's silent for a second. "Where's the other star of the show? gone home to cry again?" Carrie looks backstage, "oh wait, found her." Carrie drags the mascara-stained Violet out. "awwee. Is this because your parents didn't show again?" 

Violet glares at her, wiping her face, "Shut up." Carrie pouts, "Hurtful, anyways. Party at my house." the crowd cheers and immediately disperses. The worst part of all is Nick walking out with her. 

Flynn wraps her arms around Julie and Violet, "Well, that kinda backfired." They all look out at the floor seeing the new kid with a girl, "oh, I mean, the whole night wasn't a bust. The new guy found someone." Julie and Violet chuckle as Flynn continues with, "Little man has game!" They both rest their head on Flynns shoulders. 

~~~

Violet sighs, writing in her journal, you guessed it, more song lyrics. That's apparently the only thing running through her head right now. Julie and Flynn sit a little ahead, popping balloons.

"I can never show my face at this school again." Julie sighs. "That's what we get for depending on boys." Flynn says. "I don't know if I should be mad or worried." Julie looks at Flynn, "They're ghosts. I don't know what kind of trouble they can get into." "I'm gonna get us some ice cream from the cafeteria. Fools gave me the keys." Flynn gets the keys out. "Get Cookie Dough!" Violet lets out. "I will, and hey, we can crash at my place and forget about this whole nightmare." Flynn walks away. "Get me 2... of everything." Julie calls. 

Once Flynn is away, Julie gets up and sits next to Violet. "How's writing going?" "It's going... I guess. A lot of mistakes, but I actually really like these ones." Violet slightly smiles. 

"Julie, Violet, we are ready to rock this dance," Reggie runs in with the guys, "which is clearly over." They all look over to the girls as they slowly get up. 

"look, we are so.... so sorry that we bailed on you." Luke looks at Violet first, then Julie. "Yeah, I mean the night really got away from us." Reggie points. "Just please tell me it had nothing to do with you getting back at Carries dad." Julie pleads.  They all laugh, 

"oh, of course not."
"No! We wouldn't do that."
"Us? no."
"no."  

"Seriously?" Violet looks up and Luke's face falls, "you're lying to us?" 

"ok, look, it was something we needed to do." Alex confesses. "but, we'll do whatever it takes. We'll play the next school--"

"What? Another dance where you can bail on us and make us look like fools? again." Violet interrupts Luke. 

"You know what really sucks? Our songs were good. And all three of you know what I've been through and how tough it's been for me to play, and then you do this?" Julie sighs, "Bands don't do that to each other. Friends don't do that to each other. This was a mistake."

"you mean the school dance was, right?" 

"no. I mean joining a band with you guys." Julie runs out. They all try calling out her name. 

All the boys look at Violet, who's still there. 

"I'm out." Violet walks away before turning around, "Thanks for the four new songs by the way." 

"Lottie! Lottie, please!" Luke tries to chase after her but she's already gone. 

Luke sees a slip of paper on the floor, the page is titled, "Lie to me."