Chapter III: Fairy Floss

The Night

Chapter III: Fairy Floss

---

January 21st, 2017

It had been one month since Roxas' mother left with his older brother in tow.

Or rather, his older half-brother.

The last he saw of her was when she dropped him off for school. It was almost as if abandoning him hadn't even crossed her mind. The last glimmer of her gentle but exhausted smile bore no ill intent as she waved goodbye; she even wished him good luck on his quiz for that day. Her concealer hid the bruises Roxas knew were there, and she was like a porcelain doll with hair-like fractures across her delicate surface. In fact, everyone knew what was there but nobody ever said anything—it was just another mask on another person.

Back then, Roxas was always worried for his mother... but after that day, he was only ever worried for himself.

Roxas would have been on that train with his mom had it not been for his father's adamant refusal of signing custody over. It took a few years of violence for his mother to finally flee on a whim... leaving Roxas behind. His father was more than happy to hand over a son that wasn't even his to begin with, but the last spiteful stab toward his unfaithful wife was to never let go of Roxas. His father never even struck either boy simply so there could not be a case of child abuse weighing against him. In fact, since his mother fled to Dusk City of all places, nearly all of Twilight Town was on his father's side; he may have been a monster, but at least he wasn't a literal monster.

One day, as per usual, Roxas had come home from middle school while his father was still at work (the prime example of a functioning alcoholic). On his way to ascend the stairs to his room, the phone rang, and something told him to it pick up. He didn't recognize the number, but he did recognize the voice.

"Mom?!"

"Roxas! Oh, my sweetheart... I'm so glad you picked up. Is your dad at work?"

"Yeah I just got home but he isn't here yet."

"Oh thank the Goddess I got you in time! Your father has been blocking every number I call from so I've been trying to get you right when you come home. Oh sunshine, it's so good to hear your voice!"

Despite himself, Roxas suddenly began to weep uncontrollably; pent-up emotions from his mother's disappearance overflowed out into his words, "Mom, please, you have to come home," He desperately sobbed into the phone, "Please mom you have to—"

"What's wrong, Roxas?"

"H-he-he keeps saying," His throat felt tighter than a noose, but he continued on. "Dad, he says these things and I-I-I don't want to believe him, mom, I just—"

"Deep breath, Roxas."

"But mom...!"

"Breathe in..." Unconsciously, Roxas followed her instructions, taking a long and deep breath. "Now out." He let the air go like a gentle breeze; that, along with his mother's soothing voice, was enough to ease him somewhat. "Tell me what happened."

Shakily, Roxas muttered, "Dad... dad said that you were never coming back. He said you had a new family and I'd never see you again and... I just..."

"Roxas,"

He sniffled, "Yeah?"

"He's lying. I'm trying so hard, my starlight, and it's going to take some time." Her voice wavered as if she was becoming upset herself. "I'm doing the best I can, and the best you can for me is just hold out a little while longer, okay?"

"Y-yeah..."

"Remember the necklace I gave you? The old family heirloom?" A crack of the voice and Roxas could tell she was crying very softly. "Always keep it close to your heart, because that's where I'll be. If you're ever scared or on your own, hold it close and think of me. Okay, Roxas?"

Her deceptively assuring words felt so good to hear, and he replied without hesitation. "I promise."

"I love you, and no matter what, I want you to always remember that."

A few months later, another call came in during the middle of the night. His mother was gone. He was never told the cause and there was no funeral; there was only silent mourning and stiff apologies.

So sorry about your mom, Roxas.

My mother abandoned me.

I heard about you mother, Roxas.

Who fucking didn't?

I'm sorry for your loss, Roxas.

Fuck you.

Your mother was a wonderful woman, Roxas.

She left me here to rot in this town for the rest of my life.

Then suddenly, it hit him. It started as a distant echo in the back of his head, then slowly as each day went on, it got louder and louder. It was the flicker of an inkling that exploded into a full-on epiphany:

I don't have to stay here for the rest of my life. If my mom was able to escape to Dusk City then so can I.

Thus, like a bird takes flight toward the blue sky, Roxas' ideas soared. It was 7th grade, and he had conducted the central part of his great escape plan: leave for Dusk City after senior year of high school.