14 | HOLD IT A LITTLE LONGER

Click ⭐ to vote

════════════════════════

Iris

Caleb and Colt try to ruffle up my hair and, for the nth time, I move away from their hands. Yeti has already left towards the house as I entered the driveway.

"Stop it, dumbasses. Can't you see I am holding the lasagna?" I snap at them, showing them the aluminum-covered tray in my hands, but they both just laugh.

"Assholes," I grumble.

"Alright," Caleb rubs his hands, excitedly, and looks at Colt. "Let the games begin."

"If by games," Colt says in a dry tone. "You mean studies, I am sure I don't want them to begin."

"You asked me to help you for tomorrow's test," Caleb gives him a look as I glance between them, knowing how Colt's room is going to reek of beer by tomorrow morning and both will have a hangover.

"—which you have already studied. Can't you just—?" Colt waves his hands and I laugh a little.

"No," Caleb merely states. He turns to me, hugging me sideways. "Too bad you don't have the same class test like us. It would've been fun."

As much as Caleb, sometimes, scares me with his never-ending bodyguard personality, he is such a nerd. He loves to study and hopes we will too, one day. Colt and I know, for sure, that that one day is not coming any time soon.

"Only you, Cal, will find fun in that," I say, turning towards my home. "You both study hard—all the best!"

Caleb sticks out his tongue and I do it back before I enter my place and they both go to Colt's place.

"Something smells good—is that Aunt Stevie's Lasagna?"

"Yeah," I say. I give Daisy a grin as I enter the kitchen. Yeti has curled himself inside his small room, under the staircase, while Daisy is giving him his food.

"Mom and Dad called?"

"Yeah, they just reached Aunt's place."

"Hmm, something else?"

Daisy smiles. "Dad told me not to anything stupid and to tell you to not eat so much."

I shrug. "So, same old thing."

I keep the lasagna on the dinner table. I lean against the kitchen counter, noticing Daisy, as she rubs Yeti's mane. "Where's Percy?" I ask, straightforward.

She straightens up, looking at me. "He went back to his place," she answers.

"Went back or sent away?"

"We are friends."

"Friends who kiss each other?"

Looking at the surprise and the blush on Daisy's face, I smile, broadly. "Well?" I ask her, again.

"It was once," She waves it off, dismissing the topic. "It is...not going to happen ever again."

"Daisy?" She doesn't look at me, after keeping the pedigree box inside the cupboard. "What happened between you both?"

Daisy's blue-grey eyes flash with disapproval when she turns to me and, for the first time, I feel that she is my elder sister. "You and Noah planned it, didn't you?" She asks me.

I cross my arms over my chest. "Have you seen yourself Daisy? Every time you come here—something makes you go sooner and I know—I know it is because this town reminds you of Percy and what you both had."