40 | BECAUSE YOU ARE THE DRAMA

Click ⭐ to vote

════════════════════════

Iris

"Turn that frown into a smile, Iris."

I look up from the table and give a small smile. "Let me be sad and lonely, Tanner."

"You asked for me." He sits across me. "And if I remember properly, Tanner Hood isn't an item in the food menu."

Why?

Why everything just derails when you think it's perfect? But I should have known. Hope is a lie and Perfect is an illusion. And I was only human to give him the power to hurt me.

Knowing my friends and my parents, they would notice something soon and I don't want to trouble them with all my problems... like always. So, I had to get myself out.

"Iris?" Tanner calls me out and my attention comes back to him.

"Hey."

"Wow," He whistles. "Debbie Downer, much?"

I roll my eyes at him and I look around the restaurant. "Why's the restaurant empty?"

He blinks when I look back at him. "Because it is close."

"Wait, what?"

"Restaurant closes after lunch on Saturdays." He gives a playful smirk. "But guess what? You are the exception all because of me."

"Uh, uh, it was open when I entered." I point to the door. "Otherwise, I would have never entered."

He scrunches his nose. "Well, you came in just minutes before the closing and I knew you so I allowed it. Also, when I came to your table, you were in a daze or something—I asked you what do you want, senorita? You said Tanner."

"You called me senorita?" I raise an eyebrow.

"It was a bit cringy, wasn't it? Anyway," He puts his hand on the table. "was it my famous soup that brought you here?"

I sigh and lean back on the chair. "I just needed a distraction, Hood."

"I didn't know it was a booty call, Cooper."

"What? No!" I gape at him. "Booty calls are even worse than guy problems."

Tanner narrows his eyes and smiles, sheepishly. "I didn't know we had problems." I give him a dry look and he snickers. "Sorry, that was bad. So, what are these guy problems exactly?"

I purse my lips and look at him. "...umm, I like a guy and he lied to me about his relationship with this girl."

He slowly nods and says, "That broke your trust."

I sigh and start, "It isn't like anyone is totally honest about their relationship and all but you know, it just gave me hope that maybe I have a chance... Also, the guy has this extreme level of poker face, and... is it desperate that I think maybe what I saw isn't exactly what it is?"

"Depends on what exactly happened."

"Yesterday, she came and kissed him in front of him and called him baby."

"Ooh," He leans away, looking at me. "That's gotta hurt."

"No shit, Sherlock." I gesture to myself.

"Yeah, you are a mess." He nods. "But what if your tiny bit of hope is right?"

"What if it is not, Tanner?" I retort. "My last breakup was so horri—ugh, I just remembered another thing."