Chapter Nine

Caleb

    I sit down by the fire. I put my hands on my face. Lynne doesn’t want to live? That can’t be right. And I just let her run off to her death. I should've chased after her. Amy walks up to me and places her hand on my back. “She is going to be fine Caleb. She knows how to protect herself.” Amy says in a quiet voice. I shake my head. “You don’t understand. She wants to die. If she has a chance, she would take it.” I say. It sounds wrong but it is correct. If she did have an opportunity to die, she would take it. I don’t want her to die. I have to find her. She moves her hand away. “Lynne is the most strongest Divergent I have ever known. Why would she want to die?” Amy asks. “Cause she think that if she stayed here and watch everyone else die yet she protects herself, she would feel guilty for the rest of her life. She also doesn’t want to stay here and be brokenhearted by the people she love for the rest her life. She decided to go on a suicidal mission instead of killing herself.” I say. I look at the fire. Amy sits down next to be. “I knew that would happen sooner or later.” Amy says in a low, quiet voice. I look at her. “You knew and you didn’t do anything about it.” I say. She shakes her head and closes her eyes. “Some people are put on Earth for a reason. She had one. You just need to let nature take its course.” She says. I stand up. Why would she let her die? “You can’t just let someone die.” I say sternly. She looks at me. “Caleb. She is going to die sooner or later.” She says. “Yeah but she is young. She is only 16 turning 17 in a couple of weeks. She is also going to die miserable. She thinks that no one loves her. Well I know one of them and that’s me. I am not going to let her die because she was suppose to.” I say. I just admitted that I love Lynne. That was a big mistake keeping the reason that there are boys here that have feelings for her. Amy takes a deep breathe. I walk away from the fire. I can’t take this.

I climb the tree where Lynne and me had our first kiss. I look out at Amity. The bombing has stopped. I look at all the people walking around. I am starting to think Lynne was correct. We are just standing here doing nothing when people are dying. I close my eyes and drift off to sleep.