Chapter Two

Caleb

    After I am on the ground, my body still stings from the net. All the transfers already jumped and we are waiting for the initiates to jump. I hear a laugh of joy and a black blur hits the net. She gets off by herself and wipes herself off. I see that girl is Lydia. She wears a smile on her face. She walks up to us. “Who wants to go again?” She doesn’t just ask me and John, she asks to everyone. Most people yell “No!” and some people shake their heads. She frowns. “You guys are no fun.” She smiles then laughs. She must be joking if she is smiling and laughing. Everyone else is frowning. If me and John know her, we know that she is joking, hopefully.

    After a while when all the initiates have jumped, we start walking toward a hallway. The guy named Erin is leading the way. Lydia stays by his side so when the walk their shoulders brush each others. They must be close. If not, even closer. I don’t know what goes through me but I feel like punching that dude in the face. Jealousy. How can I be jealous? I got over liking Lydia after a year or so. I guess not. John elbows me. “You know your face is bright red right?” he asks while pointing at my face. I glance at him then moves my eyes back to Lydia. “Oh. Your not over her are you.” John says with a sigh. I shake my head.

    We reach a huge room with tables that are as long as the room. There is a space that goes right down the middle. Erin turns around. “This is the cafetaria. After you eat, I will take you to your rooms which would be where you stay at for the next couple weeks.” He turns around and walks in line to get something to eat.Someone yells a strange name- “Lynne”. I look in that direction. A boy with blond hair and blue eyes waves his hand at Lydia’s direction. She smiles and waves back. “Come on guys. I need to show you some of my friends.”

    We follow her to the table where the boy sits. There are three other people sitting here. Lydia sits down and we do as well. A girl with brown hair sits next to Lydia. She looks at us and frowns. “What are they doing here?” She spits out at us. “There is no need to be rude Karley. Kailey, don’t think about kicking them either.” I only remember two people that were friends with Lydia that were named Karley and Kailey. I frown. “I went here to get away from them. And know I have to deal with them?” Kailey says. “Don’t worry.” Lydia says. “I already told them that I could break them in half if I wanted to. You guys could do the same.” Lydia says while smiling. “Can you tell me who the other two boys are Lydia?” John asks. She nods. “Caleb and John this is Trance and Dare. Dare and Trance this is Caleb and John.” Trance and Dare put their hands out to shake them. We put out our hands and shake them twice. It feels strange. We usually huge not shake hands. “Oh. And my name is now Lynne not Lydia. I changed it when I got here.” Lynne says with a smile. I shrug.

I just now realized that she has the Dauntless tattoo of the flames on her shoulder.

Erin comes with his tray in his hand. He sits next to Lynne. He leans and kisses Lynne. Kailey and Karley roll their eyes. Dare pretends thats he is puking. Lynne breaks away from the kiss and punches him in the arm. “Hey!” He says while rubbing his arm. Kailey, Karley, and Trance start laughing. After a while, me and John start laughing as well.

Lynne sits back down and her and Erin hold hands. I try not to get jealous but it is hard not not. I try to think about something else. “So who are your transfer friends Lynne?” Erin asks while nodding his head in our direction. “Oh. Erin this is Caleb and John. My friends from before the factions.” She says still looking at Erin. She reaches off his plate and takes an apple. She starts to eat it.

    When we are done eating and laughing till our stomachs hurt, we walk toward a place Erin called “The Pit”. Lynne stays close to Erin’s side. She leans into Erin to whisper into his ear. She was just loud enough that I could barely hear her. “Hey. I was wondering if I could…. um… move my bunk over to where the transfers are going to be at?” He raises an eyebrow and shakes his head. “I can’t do that. You are suppose to be with Dauntless-born initiates at their dorm.” He replies. She sighs. “Please. I need to talk to some of them.” She looks behind her at some of the transfers from Amity and she looks at me and John. “Fine. Fine. I will see what I can do. For now though you will have to stay with Dauntless-born initiates.” He looks at her. She smiles and kisses his cheek. “I’m glad I met you you know.” She says even lower in her voice. He nods and smiles at her. “I know.” He kisses her cheek. I make myself look away and I clench my jaw.

    We walk into a huge room. There is a single bridge right in the middle with no railing. At the bottom there is a river that splashes against the rock walls. Even when I am way up here, I could feel the spray of the wave. Erin starts to walk across of it. The initiates walk across it like they don’t know they could plummet to their deaths at any moment. The transfers slowly follow them.

    When we are half way across, a kid runs on the path going to the opposite direction. I get out of the way. I hear a scream and a thud. I look around. There is a girl that transferred from Erudite that is hanging from the bridge. She gasps. Lynne's eyes go wide and she goes to help the girl. Erin follows her and they both pull up her. Once the girl is on the bridge, she falls to her knees placing her hands slowly on her legs. She’s still gasping. Lynne helps her up slowly and keeps her by her side. We continue to walk in silent.

    Once we are across the bridge, Erin turns around on the heel of his shoe. “We will be separating now. The transfers will follow me and the Dauntless-born initiates know where to go from here.” He nods. People start breaking from the group. They are all initiates. Lynne follows them. She catches up to her friends and they keep punching each other in the arm or elbowing each other in the gut or ribs. They head toward a hallway and they disappear in the darkness. “Transfers, follow me please.” He turns around and goes into a different hallway.

    We end up at a double doors. Erin opens them and walks into the middle of the room. I decide to choose a bunk that is at the top. John chooses the bunk below me. Erin decides to talk. "You will start training tomorrow. I suggest you get rest. I will tell you more tomorrow during training.” He nods and exits the room. He kind of creeps me out.

    I get dressed to go to sleep.