"I thought you were dead," Nini mumbles so only he can hear.

"I'm not," he says in the same quiet tone. Tears were threatening to fall from both their eyes.

Lauren was the first one to question what was happening. "Mom?" Her voice breaks them out of their hug, and Nini starts internally panicking. Shit, what happens now?

Deep down, Ricky could feel that word sting a little. Mom.

He had no reason to question; he had no right to be mad. What'd he expect after being away for fifteen years? He was happy she finally got the family she's always wanted, even if it wasn't with him. And judging from how old this girl looked, Nini had her a long time ago.

I'm sorry I couldn't be a part of your life. I know we both used to talk and dream about having a family together, but I am happy for you.

"Who's this?" Jayden questions. There was something strange about the boy who stood up, but Ricky couldn't put his finger on it.

Nini, still panicking, looks between the three of them, not knowing what to say. Everyone else is noticing the awkwardness. "Lauren, Jayden," she forces out. "This is, um..."

"This is Ricky. A very good friend of all of ours," Big Red says, saving her. Everyone is silent for a moment as confusion circles the room.

"This is a sweet moment, but where the heck were you?!!" EJ yells, breaking the silence.

Ricky turns around with a faint smile on his face. "Where do I even start?"

"How about the fact that we all thought you were dead!!" Gina shouts. Dead?? Geez, what happened to this guy? Aidan thinks.

The doorbell rings, and Kourtney answers it. "Carol? Dana? What are you two doing here?"

"Mike said we should come over here, but I-" Carol stops talking when she sees Ricky. "You all see him too, right?" she asks. The gang all nod.

"Carol, what are you-" Dana has the exact same reaction when she turns the corner. "We're not hallucinating, right?" she asks. Everyone shakes their heads no.

"It's good to see you guys too," Ricky chuckles.

"I have an idea. How about you two go talk on the patio while we stay in here?" Seb suggests (demands) as he's pushing them outside.

"Geez, you guys are acting like your high school selves," Ricky says right before Seb shuts the door and locks them out.

"Who was that?" Madison asks.

"And why was he considered dead?" Aidan asked.

"And why have we never heard of him before, yet you guys all clearly know him?" Lauren points out.

"But most importantly, who is he?!" Jayden adds.

"Oh... right. You guys are still here," Ashlyn whispers. The four nod.

"Let's just sit on the couch while they sort things out," Big Red suggests. The four children groan and plop onto the couch anyway.

*Patio*
When the door shuts, Ricky faces Nini and starts rambling.

"Ok, before you yell or scream or- or get mad, I want to say a few things." When she doesn't respond, he keeps going. "I'm sorry. And I- I know that that's not good enough, and you're probably confused about how I'm here and why I'm here now a- and not before. I'm aware of both letters you got twelve years ago. I'm aware that they make me out to be dead. I know that there's nothing I could possibly do to ever look better in your eyes. I know how big of a failure I am. And I'm not trying to get back into your life or anyone else's. I'll leave after this; you don't have to see me or hear from me ever again if you don't want to. But I want to have a chance to explain myself. I know I don't deserve it but please. I... I'm sorry."