1 - News

Nini
*June 9, 2025 |
A Month After Graduating College*
"Are you 100% sure about this?" I ask.

"Yes Angel, please don't be mad."

"I could never be mad at you, especially for wanting to pursue something you're going to love."

"So... you're ok with it?"

"It's your life; I can't control how you live it. How many more days?"

"Two. Thank you, your approval is the only one I really need." I laugh a little.

"What about your parents?"

"My dad doesn't mind. I mean, he cares, of course, and is worried, but he's happy I'm taking control of my life. My mom, however, thinks I'm too young to be doing this. I'm 22; I think I can take care of myself."

"Umm... didn't I come back to the apartment, and the microwave was smoking?" I tease.

Ricky and I have been living together since junior year of college. We'd figured looking into different places couldn't hurt. It made it a lot easier since we were always in the other's dorm anyway. Our parents were suspicious about our hasty decision, but everything worked itself out.

I came back from work and the microwave was smoking because he forgot to put water in the instant mac and cheese.

"Look around," he says, gesturing with his hands. "The place is still in one piece," he says with his signature smirk.

"Yeah, because I live here."

We sit in silence for a few seconds before he speaks again. "I want you to have this." I look down and see he's taken his promise ring off his finger. "Keep it till I get back."

I look at the silver ring in his hand and shake my head. "No, you keep it. As a promise to come back safe and in one piece," I say, looking at the ring that was on my finger.

We both had silver rings with our names engraved on them. Mine had my name on it in Ricky's god awful handwriting, and he had his name in my handwriting.

"I... I can't promise I'll come back safe. Or at all." I look down at the floor and let a few tears drop. He puts his hand under my chin to make me look at him. "But I can promise I'll try my damn best to."

"Ok." I let out a shaky breath I didn't know I was holding. "I... I'll take it."

"Will you also take this?" Instead of the promise ring, he takes off his championship skateboarding ring. I laugh because I almost killed him for breaking his leg during it. It was a simple silver ring with a small skateboard and #1 engraved on it.

"Yeah." I let out a light laugh. "I'll take this one. As long as you keep that one," I say, pointing at the promise ring on the opposite hand.

"Deal. And I know it's too big for your fingers, but I figured you could keep it just to have. You don't have to wear it."

"No worries, I'll keep it with me."

He takes my hands in his before speaking again. "I promise to try my hardest to come back to you safely. But I need you to do something for me."

"Ok," I say as more tears form.

"I need you to find someone else that'll make you happy."

"Ricky..." I start. He shakes his head, cutting me off.

"Don't wait for me. Be happy for the next 3 years. Please try to enjoy them."

"How can I enjoy them when you're not here? I can't. I... I won't."

"Can you try? For me?"

"I can try... but my attempts will ultimately fail."

He takes my hands in his before speaking again. "Before you question, no, I'm not ending things. It's just... if you were to find someone else that could make you happy..." He trails off as his voice cracks and tears roll down his face, landing on my wrists. "If you were to find someone else that could make you happy while I can't, please do so. I don't want you to be miserable."

I pull him in for a hug and rest my head in the crook of his neck. "This is why you're the best, and no one compares."

We sit like that for 30 minutes before he pulls away and stands up, wiping his face. "Stay here for a second."

I watch as he leaves the bedroom and goes down the hallway. He comes back a few seconds later with his guitar.

"What are you about to do?" I ask.

"This." He starts strumming, and I cry just a little harder.

I found a love for me
Darling, just dive right in and follow my lead
Well, I found a girl
Beautiful and sweet
Oh, I always knew you were the someone waiting for me

'Cause we were just kids when we fell in love
Not knowing what it was
I will not give you up this time
But darling, just kiss me slow
Your heart is all I own
And in your eyes you're holding mine

Baby, I'm dancing in the dark
With you between my arms
Barefoot on the grass
Listening to our favorite song
When you said you looked a mess
I whispered underneath my breath
But you heard it
Darling, you look perfect tonight

Well, I found a woman, stronger than anyone I know
She shares my dreams, I hope that someday I'll share her home
I found a love
To carry more than just my secrets
To carry love, to carry children of our own

We are still kids, but we're so in love
Fighting against all odds
I know we'll be alright this time
Darling, just hold my hand
Be my girl, I'll be your man
I see my future in your eyes

Baby, I'm dancing in the dark
With you between my arms
Barefoot on the grass
Listening to our favorite song
When I saw you in that dress
Looking so beautiful
I don't deserve this
Darling, you look perfect tonight

Baby, I'm dancing in the dark
With you between my arms
Barefoot on the grass
Listening to our favorite song
I have faith in what I see
Now I know I have met an angel in person
And she looks perfect
I don't deserve this
You look perfect tonight

"How am I so lucky to have you in my life?" I ask him while running my fingers through his hair.

"I think I'm the lucky one, Angel."

🍪🍪🍪

Chapter one baby!!!

Did you notice the subtle change of a lyric?