Love on the Battlefield; Part 2

We began our ride out into Titan country. It was only a few minutes before a titan was spotted. Armin shot the signal flare. Many more came after, and soon the formation started to turn. Another titan appeared, but opposite of my position. The formation changed course an estimated 15 times before we reached the forest. The tall trees surrounded us.

"Woah, these are some big ass trees," I said in amazement. This is my second mission outside the wall. The first one was cut short due to a breach in the Trost district. And I missed the one with the female titan due to family matters. I probably would have been dead if it wasn't for... A sudden memory of Levi from earlier flashes in my head. I have to stop thinking about that if I want to survive this mission. I looked up from my horse's saddle, only to see death staring at me as I rode by.

A seven meter titan showed up out of nowhere! It craned its head to peer at the rear squad. I looked back at the squad behind us, only to see one person being eaten, and another aiming for the nape of the titan's neck. Holy hell. Wait, did Armin even fire a signal flare. I glanced over at the blonde genius riding next to me. He was putting the flare back in his saddle bag. Thank, god.
"There's an old fort only a mile from here. Its on the far southern end of the forest. That's are destination," Captain Levi shouted at the helm of the squad. We soldiers shouted back in unison, "Yes, captain!"

On the journey to Fort Reiss we lost thirteen soiders. All giving up their lives for humanity. Pointless deaths don't suit anyone.

I laid on my back, staring out the window next to me. A soft rain had started outside. What was with Levi today? I've been part of the Scout Regiment for only 1 year, but still. He's never done anything like that before. I tucked my blanket around me and imagined Levi's warm embrace. Soon I drifted off into a deep sleep. I dreamt sweet dreams of a world without titans. A world where Levi and I. . . could be together.

But they didn't last long. I woke up to death staring my in the eye. A titan stuck its eye in the window. Screams of panic and fear, thunder and lighting filled Fort Reiss. Orders from Commander Erwin and squad leaders bounced off the walls. The sound of falling stone and crashing came from outside. The entire building shook. We knew most of us wouldn't survive tonight, because..... the titans had ambushed us.