Chapter 12.2: Dirty Paws

It was currently 3 in the morning. Shinso was the only one up, and he was thirsty so he decided to grab a glass of water from the kitchen.

as he was pouring himself a nice cold glass of water, he felt something cold and wet below his knee. he looked down to see a very friendly looking dog. the dogs deep brown eyes were looking at him with love and his tail was wagging.

he set the glass of water down and sat down on the kitchen floor.

"hi buddy. what are you doing up, hm?" he whispered, reaching out to gently stroke the golden fur on the friendly animal.

the dog licked his hand in response and decided to lay down next to him, his head resting in the boys lap. the dog was clearly eager to be petted.

"you're very cute. yes you are. what a good boy. or girl- or they? i don't know, it's 2020. it would be incredibly rude of me to assume something like th-"

he was cut off by a soft chuckle.

"his name is nugget. he's a very sweet boy. come here nugnug." he turned his head to see a disheveled y/n.

the dog immediately scrambled to get up and happily waddled over to the girl who crouched down, holding his chin up and petting his head.

"nug is deaf. he hears through vibrations. baby recognized my foot steps!" she happily whisper yelled.

'ah, that makes sense.' the boy thought. he moved over to where ellie was crouched down, now sitting, and sat next to her. the dim lighting of the street lights outside illuminated her features perfectly. he wanted so badly to slip his hand into her thin/chubby one. she was so sweet.

he absentmindedly admired her and how gentle she was. he only stopped when he heard his name.

"hey, did you hear me? it's gonna be sunrise soon, we should probably get back to izu and sparky." she said, letting out a soft yawn. "i might also catch up a little on my sleep, too."

he nodded and got up, scratching the dogs head. the good boy trotted away and left shinsou and y/n to walk back to their sleeping corners.

but y/n couldn't sleep. so she decided to go on a walk. it was incredibly early in the morning, 4:53 AM. The cold night air nipped at her skin, and she wrapped her arms around herself. She sat down on the porch steps and just stared at the moon, which was just about to go down.

It was moments like these that kept her happy. She sighed happily, looking around at all the stars. The soft street lights shined down on her, and it was so relaxing. she was about to go back inside when she heard a low growl from behind her, which gradually became a deep bark. she turned around to see katsuki's dog, nugget.

But something was wrong. He stood there with his ears flat and his tail standing in a straight line. He slowly walked closer to y/n, and was baring his teeth. y/n was confused and gently rubbed his back, which he whimpered at. He wasn't in pain, but he was scared. He was upset. he walked in front of her and barked again, seemingly at nothing. She got out her phone and shined a flashlight at where he was barking, but no one was there. the girl lead the upset canine back inside, where he stopped barking, but was whimpering and rubbing against the girl. his big brown eyes looked up at her and he lapped at her cheek, which caused a low giggle to come out of the girls mouth.

For the rest of the night nugget was awake and guarding the door, while
y/n snuggled up next to the dog and was thinking about who he saw. or what he saw.

+=+=+=+=+=+=+

sorry for the short chapter, but it ties up last chapter so technically it's one chapter if that makes sense.

if you haven't read the authors note on the last chapter/update (i apologize about the false release date, that's my fault. family issues) then you know i'm writing a levi x reader that should be released in later 2021.

please take a vote on what cover you like best, and i also want to leave the end of this chapter up to your imagination. what/who do you think nugget saw?