Chapter 4: False Alarm

y/n woke up around 1:27 AM to the front door opening. She peeked her head out into the hallway, but heard nothing but the sound of her quiet breathing. She slowly made her way down the stairs, grabbing a picture frame off of the wall on her way down. She turned on the light and jumped out.

"WHO'S THERE?! I HAVE A PICTURE FRAME AND I'M NOT AFRAID TO USE IT!"

"It's just me, sweetie.." a tired, feminine voice replied. y/n knew it was her mother, so she put the picture frame back on the wall and made her way towards the woman.

"Mom? Why are you back so early?" The teen whispered.

"G let me have a few days off." The woman replied, setting her purse on the counter and making her way to the couch. (Combined kitchen & living room)

"Why the hell are you still working for that bastard?"

"y/n..It pays the bills, so I'm willing to do it. I have 2 kids I need to look after."

y/n sat down next to her mom, gently placing her small hand in her mother's slightly larger one.

"I-I know but.. It's not safe, mom. I'm worried..." she said, her vision becoming a bit blurry due to the tears forming in her y/e/c eyes.

The older woman pulled her daughter close to her chest, and ran  her fingers through the girls y/h/l y/h/c locks, leaning her chin on her shoulder.

"I know baby.. I know. But you know what?" The woman cupped her daughters face, and brushed away her tears with her thumbs. "I almost have enough money saved to move into a 2 bedroom apartment on the nicer side of town. A few more shifts and we can finally have a slightly better life. Now go back to bed, princess. I'll be upstairs in a few minutes."

y/n nodded, and made her way up the stairs. She opened her bedroom door and flopped onto the bed, tangling herself in the sheets. She let the sleep consume her.

Hey! Sorry for the short chapter, I promise the next one will be longer! This is kind of a chapter based on y/n's home life. I hope you enjoyed (: