Remember? (Part 10)

Part 10- Remember?

Enjoy! I wrote this part a few weeks ago. :)

Vote, Comment or Fan! <3

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I thought friends lasted forever. I thought that the people you loved were never going to leave you for anything. How easily money could make all that disappear, I did not know. I still loved them, though. I don’t think I could ever stop. And maybe, they still loved me too. I sure hope so. I don’t want to think that all we had was only going to be memories. I ached to be back in the days when I was a kid and everything was just… so easy. But I now I was broken, battered and left to suffer alone. My heart had a black hole in it, that couldn’t be mended, ever. I had always held onto the little shred of hope that my luck might bring something unexpected and everything would be alright. But right now, it just seemed that I was stuck in a big, black hole with no one to pull me out.

***

Ow. Ow, ow, ow. My brain hurt, a lot. I couldn’t move for a moment. Instinctively, I lifted a hand to my throbbing head. I jerked in surprise. There was a long, deep scar extending from my elbow towards my wrist. Where was I? I looked around the room. It was all metal-like, like the inside of an iPod. It was rather bare; they needed some funky rugs or paintings.

“Good morning, Sweetie.” A woman in a blue and white dress bustled in. “Are you awake?”

I stared, uncomprehending. Was this a hospital? She handed me a cup of coffee, in a plain white cup and sat down comfortably. I sipped at the brown liquid warily. It was quite warm, but lacked flavour.

“So, how are you feeling today?” The nurse inquired.

“I’m okay. Just woke up… Is this a hospital?”

“Of course!” The nurse looked surprised. “You were brought in last night by the policemen who found you stranded on a beach. At least, that’s what I heard.”

I was unable to speak. What beach? I inspected my body, wincing at the sight of the bruises and cuts. I had no memory of getting hurt or anything. I lifted my head to look at the nurse who was staring at me concernedly.

“I don’t remember getting injured. Or anything about a beach.” I said slowly.

The nurse wrinkled her brow. “Well, maybe I got my information wrong. I’ll go call the doctor to tell him you’re awake.” She stood up and left the room.

I adjusted my position on the hospital bed. It wasn’t very cosy. I shivered and glared at the blasting air-conditioner. Turn that stupid thing off! I shouted in my brain. The door opened and in came a 40-year-old looking doctor with a moustache. I sat up, wriggling against the pillows.

“Now, Alice, I assume you’re in quite a state of shock after the incident last night, am I right?” He drawled, stroking his chin.

“Um… actually I don’t remember anything. “ I mumbled, looking away.

The doctor widened his eyes and stopped stroking his chin. He regained his composure and asked me if anything hurt. I replied my head that throbbed continuously.

“Miss Lenkin, I am going to ask you some questions to make sure the hit to the head didn’t inflict too much harm. Alright?” He asked, kindly.

I nodded. There was nothing wrong with me anyway. They were worrying over nothing.

“What is your name?” Oh god, are they serious?

“Alice Lenkin.” I replied without missing a beat.