Chapter 32

Adelaide sat at the table. The black collar of her dress was scratching her neck, yet she sat still as she endured the daily meeting with her advisors. It didn't matter that it was the anniversary of her husband's death; there was a war going on - and they were losing. Resources were drying up at a rapid speed. Although they had managed to keep the looming austerity a private secret, her fellow courtiers had begun getting flighty.

"I know the farmers are struggling with the pay cuts but we are all making sacrifices here. Tell them it's non-negotiable." she said. Her mind flashed to her friends complaining of their allowances being shaved down. To the argument with the gardeners over how they could afford the new plants on the West path. Even their balls had to be shortened because the palace couldn't afford long enough candles. Everyone was making sacrifices.

"Your majesty, with the current situation in the Paris, another pay cut really isn't in our best interests at the moment." One of them said.

"Then tell me what is." she said icily. "I'm not sure if you gentlemen are aware, but we are at war. So, if you could kindly attempt to do your jobs, I'm sure we would all appreciate it." the men shifted looks between each other, hoping that someone else would speak. "Either give me a solution at tomorrows meeting or send your replacement." her steady words hissed like escaping steam. "You are dismissed," More and more of her meetings were ending with this unsatisfactory meanness. The advisors probably went home to their wives, tails between their legs, complaining of how mean she was.

I'm trying to run a country here for Christ's sake. They felt too safe in their frivolous playground politics, and now they're being forced to make decisions that are actually meaningful, and they're failing. But I'm the villain, I'm the bitch. Cry babies.

As the last one escaped through the door he slowed and bowed to an entering maid. Her dress was plain, her bright red hair pulled back tightly. Adelaide squinted at her. The maid looked down at the tea tray which sat unnaturally in her hands with wide eyes.

Adelaide allowed herself to gaze around the room whilst she sat it down. There was a vase of flowers on the table next to the window.

"What do you think?" Louis said, presenting the blue flowers.

Adelaide smiled, scrambling to find something to say.

"They're the national flower," he said, proudly,

"They're lovely," she squeaked.

"Do you not like them?" his face edged towards disappointment.

"No, no, they're beautiful. Really." she nodded assuring. "It's just- they're- you know- flowers"

"You don't like flowers?" he scrunched his forehead. His eyes smiled at her.

"I've never really given them much thought," she laughed.

"So, you don't spend your time smelling the flowers?" he asked.

"What?" she responded, worrying that she missed a joke.

"Nothing,"

"Thank you, Louis."

"You're welcome."

"Before you go," she said to the maid. She turned; her face startled. "Would you get rid of those flowers? Thank you."

"Yes ma'am." her voice was unpolished, the words tumbled out jaggedly. She breathed sharply as she scattered out the room.

Adelaide took a long sip of the drink in front of her. It tasted ever so slightly strange. It didn't matter. As she drank, her mind slipped into thought. All her life, all she had wanted was to be queen of something, it was the everything she had desired. A hot need, that filled her very soul. It was the only thing she wanted, until him.

A sharp pain struck across her chest. She spluttered out a mouthful of white foam before slumping onto the table.

The end.