Chapter 31

"Hey,"

"Hi,"

"You're back" he smiled.

"You're awake," she replied.

He sat in the bed, the fever seemed to have subsided, and his face had regained a suggestion of colour. His arm was across his body in a sling.

They were alone in the room. She began stripping off the constricting dress, it had been rubbing against her bandages leaving her uncomfortable for the duration of her meeting.

"What were the advisors saying?" he watched as she shed her sweeping grey skirt.

"You don't get to worry about that yet," she smirked. She peaked at her bruised hip a spread of tender dark blue and purple. She had managed to walk steady too and from the office, but the hidden pain now revealed itself.

"Fine," he said. "May I ask? Is it bad?"

She inhaled through her nose. "No." She limped over to the bed, in her white underwear, and sat next to him. "Not yet at least," she flicked her hair back from her face and gave him a cordial smile.

"Apart from us getting shot,"

"Well of course," They were joking with each other, but alarm still hung over their heads.

They allowed their thoughts to stir for a second. The dread of what might have happened, what nearly was swam above them.

"We almost died," he chuckled. "It feels weird saying it," he looked to her, gauging her response.

"We almost died," she treaded through the words earnestly, her gaze was on the far wall. She pushed out a snicker.

"Do we talk about it?"

She took a moment, before nodding. "You told me to leave." she looked at him.

"I did," his hair drooped handsomely. "You know after someone takes a bullet for you, I think you're supposed to run away," he looked into her eyes with a kind smile.

"Sorry," her chest tightened, unsure of what to feel.

"All's well that ends well,"

"It didn't end well," she rubbed her face with her hands, "someone tried to kill us,"

He stroked her back, knowing that what she needed was comfort and nothing else.

"I couldn't have left you Louis, I should have but you were-" her voice wobbled. "I couldn't."

"That's okay,"

She smiled at him, "Thank you," she said, glancing at his bandaged arm, her expression drifted into a marble quiver.

He looked away, dropping his hand, "I thought I was going to die," he gulped. "Dramatic, I know." he deflected. "But I didn't want you to see that"

She stared at him; a tornado spiralled her frozen head.

"Adelaide," he looked back to her, he reached up and tucked a lock of golden hair behind her ear. "I don't know how to say this. Lying here, in everything that was going on. All I could think about was you. And when they said-" he paused. "they said you were shot too and I just- I love you Adelaide. I really do. I know this isn't the time, but I've thought this for, so long. Seeing you in that ballroom, scared as hell, was the worst thing that I ever saw. And I can't keep going without telling you. I love you,"

She fluttered a sigh from her chest. "I-" her mouth hung ajar, unsure if this was real. It seemed so incredibly quiet in the room, it was only them, the rest of the world, everything, subsided into them. "I love you," she felt her heart glowing.

"Really?" he grinned at her, his heart pounded in his chest.

"Of course,"

He leaned towards her, their faces smiling at each other. "Can I kiss you?" he whispered, so quietly.

"Yes,"

He pressed his lips to her. Every part of her body felt like she was on fire. His fingers intertwined in her hair; she placed her hand on his shoulder. It felt as if the universe was sighing; finally reaching satisfaction. He was warm, and manly, and so, so perfect. She pulled back for air.

"Jesus Christ, you're beautiful," He beamed a charming smile at her.

She smiled back, astounded. "You're perfect," she gasped before, diving into another passionate kiss. Nothing in her entire life had ever felt so right. He moved his thumb, tracing her jaw. They kept kissing, fighting the urge to come up for another breath.

He ran his finger along the ridge of her nose.

“What are you doing?” she giggled.

“I’m examining your incredibly pretty face,” he placed a kiss on her cheek.

“Shut up,” she scrunched her nose.

“Make me,” he whispered in her ear.

She scoffed, pulling him by the collar into another kiss.

When they stopped, he looked as if he were about to say something. She smiled back at him.

Suddenly, Louis' face dropped. He coughed. His eyes panicked as he gasped to breath.

"Louis?" Adelaide said, dread pulsated through her. "Louis?"

They exchanged a look of terror.

"Help!" Adelaide cried as loud as her body allowed. "Someone help!"

Some people ran into the room, she couldn't see who. Her eyes hanging to her struggling husband. Someone pulled her off him.

"No!" she wrestled, trying to stay with him. But she was quickly shoved out of the busy room. The door closed between them.

She shrieked, sobs shaking out of her. She pounded the door, pleading, pleading for it not to be true. After a few minutes, a doctor came out. His face was grey, sullen. She hadn't stopped screaming.

"How could you!" she howled, looking up. "How could you!"