Chapter 23

Adelaide stared at the door. As time passed, maids brought her a chair. Later they brought her dinner. But Adelaide didn't move from her front row view of the door. The door in which her husband, the man in which she shared a child with, the man in which she was supposed to place unwavering trust and adoration in, the man who was supposed to love her, the man she was supposed to love, had walked through and slammed in her face.

By the time Louis reappeared through the door, it was dark. The room, decorated in white and gold was lit by dwindling candles. Adelaide sat asleep on a chair facing the door. He stared at his wife for a moment, her blond hair messily shrouded her head.

"Adelaide," he said softly.

She shifted and looked up at him, as she arched her back, she rubbed her drowsy eyes. She dropped her hands onto her lap, and sighed, it wasn't anger that sang in the breath, rather it was harmonized with relief.

Thank God, Adelaide thought. The worry that Louis might have fled Versailles, lifted out of her.

"It's too late to fight," she said, looking out the window into the black abyss.

"I know," Louis walked over to the ornate cabinet at the side of the room, "Drink?" he asked, producing two glasses.

Adelaide nodded. She slid onto to the floor and took the glass of golden liquid, taking a sip of its strong taste. They sat in silence for a while. The palace, usually full of buzz even in these early hours, was still. Versailles vastness, the greatness that sprawled and sprawled, had faded away, leaving the pair in this room, alone with each other.

"I'm tired of hating you," Louis stroked the tumbler with his thumb, he gazed down at his shoe that lay in front of him "I'm sorry, for being so cruel."

"I'm sorry, too" she was lying on her back, eyes to the ceiling battling the urge to fall asleep.

He swigged the dredges of his drink and shuffled closer to her "Can we be friends?" he looked down at her, his brow furrowed, hungry meagreness sketched across his face.

She looked too him and slowly nodded. "Yes. We can be friends," she smiled closing her eyes.

Louis smiled before melting onto her. He gently placed his head on her stomach. "Thank you," his voice was soft, Adelaide had missed his voice.

She fell asleep before him, his head lifted with her deep, steady breaths. He lifted his weight of her, looking at her face for a quick moment. He was glad of this final reprieve from their conflict. He smiled at the thought, friends. He picked up her dreaming body, his tallness ensured her small frame was easy to carry. Louis lightly placed his dozing wife onto the mattress, settling himself beside her.