Chapter 2

Adelaide sat down at the dinner table; her arms were heavy from travelling. She rested her elbow on the tablecloth, placing her chin on her hand. The conversations swirled around the room like music, with her hand she fiddled with the ruffles on her sleeve. She surveyed the room. There had been a group circling Europe's courts for the best part of a century. There was a long war before then, closed borders and doors for many years. When the fighting ended the young royalty finally got to meet, instead of hating each other they decided to flirt with each other. She recalled a historian praising the rotation party "Peace and prosperity unmatched in history," he claimed.

"Hello," said a voice behind her. It was Nicholai, he took the seat next to her. "It's good to see you"

"How have you been?"

"I'm well, Gwen's and Augustine have been keeping us well entertained" his jet-black hair swooped over his forehead.

"That's good to here," Adelaide smiled.

"You look really pretty," his voice was low like soft thunder reverberating through a valley.

"Thank you," a soft pink brushed across her face. "you look very handsome"

"I missed you so much," he said, the corner of his mouth edged up his face. Nicholai Petrovna's famous smile.

As soon as Adelaide had met Nicholai, she had known she loved him. He, of course, reflected those feelings. The months spent in Normandy had seen the two learn every aspect of the others' lives, she had shown him every corner of her home, he had shown her every part of his heart. Secret talks in bedrooms that lasted till dawn, kisses stolen in hallways, hands touching under tables, whispers, a silent buzz. Their warm courting combating the cold frost and snow of winter. They had seen it as a honeymoon, but Adelaide now knew that it had been a cadence.

"May I ask?" Nicholai said, straightening his knife

"Ask what?" Adelaide replied.

"What kept you in Normandy?"

"I wanted to spend time with my parents,"

"You hate your parents," he looked at her smiling, his brow scrunched.

"Then my parents wanted to spend time with me," she exacerbated, locking eyes with him. Nicholai's face dropped.

"Is everything alright?" he reached out and took her hand. She paused staring at their intertwined hands. Just tell him.

"Yes," she clenched her jaw and pressed her lips together, "Of course." Coward.

After dinner, Nicholai walked Adelaide back to her apartment. He sighed staring at her, she smiled back at him. She looked down the long empty corridor and saw no onlookers. He tucked her hair behind her ear, leaning in and kissed her.

"Goodnight,"

"Goodnight,"

She wriggled her bare feet under the bed sheets, empty silence filled the room. Restless, she took the oil lamp on her nightstand and walked across the room to the large mirror hung on the wall. She inspected her face, lit by the orange flame. Her round face was framed with dark blond hair, tired from being tied up. She leaned in, her breath creating a light fog on the mirrors cold surface, her muddied green eyes stared back at her. She stroked her pink mouth, a heaviness settled in her chest. Her secret love affair with Nicholai would have to conclude soon.

Her father had called Adelaide into his office, most of the party were already in the Netherlands, her mother was there sitting, contempt.

Adelaide stood silent, still as they informed her of her fate. The politicians had organised that Normandy, and all her colonies, were to be absolved into French control. Being the sole heir to the throne, Adelaide had offered the perfect opportunity for the merger, she would marry the dauphin, Louis and he would inherit all the land and money of Normandy. France was a rich country, Normandy had plenty of land overseas, a merging would mean they would be one of the most influential powers in the world. 'Everyone wins,' her parents had told her. Except for me, everyone but me. They had been planning it for a few years, they had said. Maybe it was her fault, did she really expect them to let a girl ruin their perfect country, to be allowed to marry a low-ranking baron from a foreign empire. She was to keep her title of Duchess of Jersey, and lose her perspective sovereignty, her name, her home, and of course her freedom.

She stepped back, her dark eyebrows taught, she was had a pretty face and the personality to suit it. Louis and Adelaide had never been closer than friends of friends and now they would be intertwined by law, for forever. At least they knew each other, Adelaide had always pitied those who would marry a stranger. Love marriages were a privilege, and for Adelaide a delusion of past fantasies.