Chapter 17

Adelaide walked through the gardens, it was sunny, warmth shone down onto the ground. She moved quickly between the hedge rows, turning left past the elaborate fountain. She thought about the past year; only a year of marriage and they both hated each other. The red dress she wore was ruffled at the bodice; the skirt blew behind her in the wind. She stopped taking a few steps back, tucked away in the hedge was a statue. The women's face looked back at her, it's body wrapped in ivy. Hidden and neglected, she admired the stonework for a few moments, then continued her course.

The sitting room was warm. Adelaide fiddled with her skirt, eyes moving meticulously round the room. On one wall was a painting of an old man, his face was stiff, his grey hair pristinely was placed. He looked like Théo, his father perhaps.

"Your Majesty," Théo entered the room and bowed.

They were both unsure, waiting for the other to make an indication, to move or say something. "I came to visit the horses," she said. Butterflies bubbled in her stomach.

There was a moment where nothing happened, busy silence filled the gap between them. Suddenly Théo edged around the table towards her, he took her face in his hands kissing her, she lifted her arms placing them on his wide shoulders and kissed him back. Electric satisfaction tingled through her body. He smelled different from the men she usually knew; he moved his hands back into her hair. She pulled away for air, examining his face, his wide nose, his dark eyes; he wanted this as much as she did. He took his large hands and took her waist. Adelaide looked at him with hunger in her eyes, consequences and guilt had left her head, she was only here, fully in the present. He lifted her up, she wrapped her legs round him and stole another passionate kiss. He carried her through to another room and put her down. They didn't say a word to each other, their minds linked in thought. She unbuttoned his waistcoat as he shed his trousers.

"Turn around," he breathed.

She did as he asked, she had chosen a dress she knew he would be able to retie and that had no panniers. He pressed his lips onto the back of her neck, it tickled.

Once they had removed their clothes Adelaide lay back in the bed as he placed himself on top of her, pressing her shoulders into the mattress.

They lay breathing on top of the white sheets. They talked for a while, alone in their soft enclosure. After a while Adelaide left to return to the palace, leaving Théo one last kiss on the cheek.

"Will you come back?" he said, holding onto her hand.

"Yes, I will."

She walked into the drawing room of their apartments, she had changed for dinner, her green dress swung round the hoop skirt. Louis sat in a chair reading a letter.

"How was your day?" she asked sarcastically.

No reply.

"Well I had a fantastic day at the stables." She continued.

A girl walked in holding the letter tray and presented it to Adelaide.

"Thank you," Adelaide said as she prised open the envelope. It was from Gwendolyn. "August is getting married." Now Louis looked up at her but remained silent. Adelaide looked back at him for a moment debating whether to hand him the letter or not. "Your majesty," she curtsied, scowling as she handed him the letter. "At least I can go to this one," she said as she walked out the room.

The nursery was large and colourful, it wasn't far from their rooms. Adelaide took Phillipe from the governess; he was swaddled in light blue cough.

He wriggled, he had fine blond hair on top of his head.

"How are you my darling?" she said. It had been such a relief that it he was a boy; her mother had sent a letter congratulating her on guaranteeing the merger. The baby moved his hand reaching for her face, she and his minder laughed as he gurgled. The dinner call sounded. Adelaide kissed his forehead before handing him back.