Chapter 16

The next six weeks passed slowly, like filling a bathtub with only a drip from a leaky tap. Nonetheless, by the end of the year Louis had returned to Versailles. The carriage appeared down the snow lined lane, the lamps swinging brightly from far away. The edge of Adelaide's nose was bright red from the cold, she wore a pink cloak that draped over her large belly. White cotton fluff drifted onto the ground. The evening sky had the type of dark you only really saw in deep winter. It was quiet, only Adelaide and a handful of servants stood waiting for the King's arrival. The horses pulled in, and Louis got out of the carriage, he was wearing a thick red coat, he shivered as he stepped across the paved ground.
Adelaide's heart warmed at the sight of him, the hole he had left was yearning for him. Even though they had parted on rough ground she had missed him terribly and he was finally home. He was walking towards her, snowflakes were sticking to his hair, he looked tired.
"How was the wedding?" she smiled when he was only a few paces from her.
But Louis did not stop, he walked right past her and in through the large wooden doors.
Adelaide followed behind him, she watched him as he stamped the snow of his boot of the heavy rug. "How is Gwen? How is August?" she tried. Nothing. He walked quickly back to their apartments, taking large strides along the wide halls. Adelaide followed for a while, but struggled to keep pace, she got to their destination a few minutes after him. She got changed into her nightgown, brushing out the damp snow from her hair and joined him under the layers of blankets.
"I missed you." she said attempting to get some response.
Louis rolled over and extinguished his lamp.

Why was he being so cruel. She had been in a buzz of anticipation for his return and now he was just ignoring her completely. He'll sleep it off, wake in the morning and be fine, she hoped to herself as she let sleep overtake her.

They sat at opposite ends of the table. Louis had been back for two months and had barely said a word to her. Talk about holding a grudge. Adelaide was tired, she rested her hand on balloon of a bump sat in front of her, there was some movement underneath the dress.
"So, Adelaide," said the older woman sat next to her. She wore an over-embellished cream dress, it was expensive, sure, but rather ugly. "Not long now."
"No, not long at all," she smiled, she didn't know this women's name or title and feared getting caught.
"Another fine Bourbon to add to the roster," crowed someone, Adelaide knew she was called Liliane but couldn't remember her title.
"They're getting a new house name actually," Adelaide said taking a bite of her food.
"Whatever reason is that for? We've had a Bourbon on the throne for two hundred years, they're a great house," said a man from across the table. Most of the table was listening to the conversation.
"Well with the merging of Normandy and France we thought it would be better to have a new name," Adelaide said.
"What nonsense!" laughed the woman in cream. "You Normandy people coming in here and changing it all, this is our country you know sweetheart."
Adelaide felt embarrassment sink into her. "Well-"
"Oh, stop being silly. I don't know what they're feeding you up there, but it certainly isn't making you smarter. The child is French, they should have the name of a Frenchman. Louis tell your wife, tell her to stop being silly." her voice was shrill and sharp, tearing though Adelaide.
She looked at Louis, please help.
He had a glint in his eye, like a shark smelling blood. "Stop being silly, Adelaide." Louis smiled. The table snickered.
How could he? Her cheeks turned red in humiliation.
"Aww look at her," the women next to her cooed, everyone erupting in laughter.
"You've hurt her feelings," someone crowed.
What do I do? She stayed sitting in the middle of the mockery, paralyzed, her eyes fixed on Louis' smug face.

They sat the next morning in their usual silence. Drowsiness hung over his head.
"Could you pass the salt, please?" she asked him.
He ignored her, taking another bite of his breakfast.
"Could you pass the salt, please?" she repeated, perfectly pronouncing every syllable of the sentence. "How could you do that to me last night? Do you know how that felt? To have everyone laughing at you like that."
Louis stared forward.
"For God's sake Louis could you pass the fucking salt?" she shouted. There was a moment of silence, Adelaide practically shaking as she waited for his response. "Say something!" she slammed her palms down on the table, she pushed her chair out "Would you just say something!" her voice quivered in the midst of its anger. She stood up and started for the door. She was about halfway across the room when she let out a sharp yelp.
Louis' head snapped round as he leapt out of his seat; his heart raced as he sprinted to her. "You're alright." He said taking her elbow and wrapping his arm around her waist. She breathed quickly looking up at him as he guided her through the door, her eyes flooded with panic. "You're going to be alright," he reassured her. The fear and uncertainty of his own filled his head. He sat her down on the bed, he placed his hands on the sides of her shoulders. After a few moments Adelaide's breathing slowed, the pain subsiding. Soon two women ran in, taking charge of the situation.
For the following hours he stood aloof at the side of the room which had been quickly filled with doctors and racketing courtiers.
The loud cry pierced through the cheers. Louis reclaimed his spot at the side of the bed. Below him a wrinkled red face wriggled.
"The dauphin of France everybody," he beamed at the onlookers. Adelaide sighed a breath of relief. Even with in this moment of joy, Louis knew he would keep his vow of silence against her.