Chapter 31

It was midnight and Rain couldn't sleep. This time the cause not being her resident nightmares, rather an unruly young man causing trouble, as usual.

"Say that again." Reynolds laughed, amused.

"Well I always knew this would happen sooner or later. He's been recking havoc in the city, of course he got himself arrested!"

'He' being the ever angry 'call me Rush'. He was a great addition to the family, but he tended to engage in reckless behaviour often and it frustrated our rogue to no end.

"Just for helping out an old lady he thinks he thinks he's superman now?! Damnit!" Rain slammed her hands on the kitchen table they were sat around.

It was strong wooden material, it had to be. Running her hands through her hair, she groaned, again.

Reynolds took to calming her down, "Just don't worry about it, he's old enough to take care of himself, he'll survive."

Our leader laughed, it was a pained kind of laughter. "Oh I don't mind him spending a night or even a month in there cause he probably deserves it, but this might just blow our cover! Dammit Reynolds it's not funny!!"

"OK, Ok," Reynolds had his hands up in surrender.

"Blaze help me out here man, you don't think we could be sleeping peacefully right now and DEALING with other shit like finding out that the witches we bed keep our children from US!?" That silenced the room. Of course they sympathised, Reynolds was lost and hiding it behind humor and sarcasm but he was hurt. Rain could only lay a comforting hand on his shoulder.

What does one say to heal the loss of time?

Blaze was busy making coffee on the kitchen island a feet away from the one fully occupied table. He hummed. "He's right Rain, Edmund wouldn't be that stupid, however you might be onto something. If I recall they might want to release a 'troubled' teenager into the custody of a responsible adult and getting ourselves involved in all of that might raise blazing red flags. Imagine the alarms we'd trigger for how responsible we look."

"See?! That's exactly what I mean! Edmund shouldn't hav-"

"I don't mean to interrupt you leader but Rush told me he was defending himself. He said it was some group of kids that used to torment him back in that f*cked up orphanage." Steen defended, because of course he was closer to Rush than most, although the troublesome rogue could be clingy (when it concerned Rain) and an attention seeking brat, Steen still worried about him and would descreetly follow him during his shady journeys into the city just to keep an eye on his brother.

Rain looked at Steen with the eyes of a proud mother, she knew about his tracking habits but he didn't need to know that.

Besides, Rush hadn't called yet so the only source of all this information could only have been seen by the faithful boy's own eyes as opposed to his claims.

Rhea dropped a case of make-up on the counter with a cheerful smile and one daring look towards Steen.

"I think you'd make a damn pretty woman, don't you think big sis?" She chimed in, brushing our rogue's shoulder with her own whilst winking at Steen. "I could help you with the padding if you like?? I mean your hips have to be convincing..."

Steen's eyes nearly popped out of his skull, "Wait, so I'm getting him??"

"As his mother yes, yes you are." Rhea finished firmly before whispering for Rain to relax and go back to sleep. "Don't worry, I will make sure he's embarrassed for days to come."

She and Steen went to begin their makeup while Reynolds left for bed, leaving Blaze and Rain alone. Seating himself across Rain now that the table had cleared, the former beta tried to convince Rain to stop worrying as well.