Chapter 20

3rd Person

"Mommy," Cole said, seated with his mother on a couch in front of the t.v. "Yes baby boy?" Eva answered the boy as tenderly as she could, judging by his choice of words, he was scared, he always turned into a baby when scared about something. So Eva, though her voice was hoarse from all the sobbing she'd been doing all day yesterday, but especially last night braced herself to comfort her son even though she herself was in need of comfort.

"Why did Rain leave our house, didn't she like it here?" Eva blinked her red shot eyes, she wasn't expecting this question from her 10 year old little boy, how does one explain such shameful actions to their child?

"She left because mama was mean to her baby" She said with a sniffle, picking up her son seating him in her lap. "But why were you mean to her? Rain's always nice to you." Cole asked curious, his mom had taught him to be nice to people so that they are nice back, and his big sister was nice so why was mom mean?

"Because mama was a fool little Cole, a damn fool." Eva said, her voice barely above a whisper, was thick with shame.

No matter what, your child is your child to protect, to love and to care for yet she'd let a thing such as mere youthful misbehavior cloud her judgement. She didn't understand why things were harder all of a sudden, but of course, reason lay where she'd no longer have the luxury of seeing Rain around because even though she'd kicked her out, she had the peace of mind knowing she's alive and well. Now to think that her baby could've already been killed, that was most likely to happen. Rogues were as good as road kill, one could either move it out the way or run it over again. Rain was gone, scared and alone, maybe dead and she'd done that, she had killed her daughter.

"You won't be mean to me too mommy, will you?" Cole asked holding Eva's face between his little hands, "I promise I'll clean my room every time and do my homework on time, please don't be mean to me! I don't want to leave you and dad and my friends and...!" Cole begged his mother, he didn't want to leave home, he heard all the bad things people said about his sister from the kids at school and it was all said after she left home. Through a child's logic, this was why: People don't like people who leave their home and family.

Eva lay her shaking hands on top of her boy's small ones, eyes glistening with tears as she looked into brown eyes much like her daughter begging her, this is how her baby sees her, as the mean monster who will chase him out of his home.

"-at-least treat my little brother right."

Rain's words rang back at her right that moment, making the tears she's been holding back run freely. Oh how she'd become a crier lately...

She looked into her little boy's scared self, a new found determination coursing through her being, her wolf alight with fire. She will no longer be pushed back when it comes to taking care of her pups, not anymore.

"Listen to mama Cole OK?" Cole nodded, paying attention. All he wanted was the assurance that his mommy would love him, forever.

"I love you baby OK?" Little Cole nodded, a smile brightening up his sad face. "Mommy won't be mean to her baby boy, that's a promise I will fight to keep pup." She said, feeling as if the words carried to Rain's spirit as she hugged her son's small body to her tight.

~~~~

"Wow, we missed out on real action then?" JJ said responding to what the guys were telling him in the game room. "serves her right."

"Tell me something JJ," Jason said in irritation, this kid shouldn't have come back, they obviously hadn't taught him anything. "You were about to have a three-sum with those twins back at the club, after practically rolling out of bed with Rain."

"But thanks to you I didn't get any so what do you want?" JJ said, frustrated. Whenever  Jason opened his fat mouth, it only served to give him one BIG headache.

"You use your mate and dump her like a cheap hook-up and then we come back to the news that she was run off like some diseased dog and the only thing you can say to that is 'serves her right'?" He asked, pausing the game they were playing to look up from the at JJ who was on the couch. He was getting pissed real quick, no matter what, your mate's yours to clean up and warm up, not to treat them like shit.

"She passed around what's mine like a freakin' happy meal!" Oh, the kid's ego...

"But dudes sleep with whoever they want and nobody says shit! And fuck, YOU weren't even here at the damn time!" This always baffled Jason, the battle of sexuality. Who was right? Who was wrong?

"I'm an Alpha, get it?" He said standing and looking down at Jason, who stood too "Man do you know how embarrassing it is to-"

"Oh enough with the sob stories JJ, you're an idiot and you should know it, but first you have to stop thinking you're better than everybody when we all know you're just a sissy hiding behind his mama's skirts." Jason retorted jabbing his finger hard into JJ's chest as they now stood nose to nose.

"Fight!, Fight! Fight!" The guys in the room dropped all they were doing, instead started chanting and encouraging the fight.

"Oh you wanna fight me Hubbard, got a thing for Rain don't ya? How does it feel knowing you the only one who missed out on the community bus-" that's when Jason landed the first blow on JJ's jaw, having had enough. JJ returned the favor, punching Jason square in the eye. That's how it all began: because the egotistical jerk had lots to learn and Jason was offering lessons, free of charge.

In no time they were rolling all over the furniture, landing blow after blow on each other closest most reachable limbs as growls and grunts filled the air. The plasma, the game console and many other items in room joined the fight in shards and debris. The hormonal group in the room had never seen this much excitement all at once in a long time and Jason was putting up a damn good fight considering JJ's genes giving him an advantage  .

JJ's body landed hard on the floor just as Connor made his presence well known at the door. "What the HELL is going on here?!" He couldn't believe his eyes, his best friend was covered in bruises and lying in the middle of strewn furniture yet these idiots were just cheering as if this was the best thing to happen since strippers!

"Jason, what the fuck man?! You have no right to fight your damn Alpha!" Connor said already helping a dizzy JJ up. "And he doesn't have a damn right to hurt a girl as innocent as Rain, NONE of you do!" Jason yelled angrily, pointing his finger at every person in the room without flinching. The young man was utterly frustrated about the topic, why on earth do assholes like JJ get all the good things thrown their way when they have no appreciation for it? Nearly every one of his peers has sniffed their mates' whereabouts somewhere but him? No such luck.  He would've been more than pleased to have Rain as his, hell the poor boy had admired her from their childhood even though he was a bit childish in his approach and JJ didn't even see how good he had it. 

 He breathed in and out, eyes cinched shut, chest heaving and his fingers pinching the bridge of his nose trying to find some semblance of calm."I only stopped you from sleeping with those girls so it wouldn't further hurt YOUR mate. Damn't JJ you could've had everything!"  He snapped his eyes open and with utmost hatred glinting in them he spoke. "If ever I show you an ounce of respect, it won't be because you deserve it, it'll be cause I'm forced to." Jason said then went for the exit, where he stopped spoke without turning back at his stunned audience.

"Oh um," He said to the guys struck dumb between the fighters with wide eyes and gaping mouths, "My family will replace all of this." He said pointing his hand at the damaged t.v and the overturned furniture. "Too bad they can't replace THIS piece of shit with a better model."

***
A/N

No, I don't believe in sudden change of hearts. I hope this chap made you a lil' happy...

Addict loves yah like <3