Chapter - 15 - Adverse Trend

We were ushered into the mountain and without hesitation or warning two guards advanced nearer, firmly grabbing my by the upper arms. I frantically looked around, a wave of fear flushing me of any possibility of alternative emotions. "What- what's happening? Zaylia?" I panicked, my voice reaching out for my maid, the only comfort that my mind could wrap around.

   The servant was a few feet away, one arm tucked against her torso and the other over her mouth as she shook her head back and forth with furrowed brows of deep concern. A sentence rang out in the objection, but it wasn't my nurse who bellowed an order. "Remove your hands from Lady Teryn this instant." Identifying the tone to belong to Fili, I expected his command to fall upon obedient ears, but four more guards marched from the next room and both that had previously restrained me only tightened their grasp in reaction to my attempt at resistance.

   "Forgive me, your Highness, but we have orders from the king." This particular soldier had a higher set nose than most dwarves and much thinner as well, though the weight he lacked in his body, he made up for with the length of his hair and beard that was a deluded shade of auburn. He seemed apologetic towards my future husband, so I ceased to struggle against the near-painful hold.

    My head was flustered with a penetrating repatriation of possible things I could have done to outrage the king so highly.

   My family overstepping in treaties?

    Surely this wasn't a joke.

   Oh, Aulë, it was the uprising wasn't it? It had grown fiercer and my betrothal to the prince had provoked the omens to side against the throne.

   "What is the source if this madness?" Fili broke the background chatter by declaring his voice over all others. The image of a lion flashed before my eyes in a flash of a rapid blink; his brows pressed towards each other, mouth roaring with angered passion and eyes full of rage locked on the guard.

    It frightened me how active the room was with this new surprise and even more so to see such a protective side of Fili being peeled into view. I wanted to run away from it all. I wanted to return home, but I was trapped within these walls and within myself. Escape, I kept grasping for any action to accompany the word, but distress had already burrowed itself in my chest and I felt trapped in the presence of deep rooted anxiety.

   The guard glanced to me as if disgusted, then turned to face an intensely confused Fili again. "Lady Teryn is accused of unfaithful and rebellious acts against the crown of Erebor. Thorin has ordered her to be obtained and temporarily held in private accommodations until judgment is passed."

   I shriek left my mouth in objection, but it found my ears as a muffled cry. I was shaking to by then, both arms jerking back and forth as I frantically shook my head, tears brimming my eyes. I don't want to be here, please, anywhere but here. "No." Was all I could muster, my face by then a couple shades lighter. The desire to jump from my skin was prominent, but I dared not move.

    It was tough to search for Filis expression without looking as though I was helpless, but I was. His face was the same as before, lost in the lack of knowledge, but the blond brought his hand up and a huff of unconvinced laughter rolled from his throat. "Teryn? She would commit no such acts, release-"

   "Forgive me, your Highness, but the King has ordered me to collect her and escort her to private chambers." Fili tried to follow suit and interrupt, but the stubborn dwarf clad in the armor of the kingdom stopped him. "The king is awaiting your return and requested you meet him in the library immediately."