Chapter - 5 - Abandoned Pursuit

Fili's P.O.V

All that was to be heard was our solid footsteps echoing off the cold stone floor and bouncing around the beams of Erebor as we walked in silence. Conversation had died down to a non-existence just  moments previous and Teryn and I had began simply walking in each others awkward presence.

   "I hear you enjoy books," I offered a topic of interest. 

   While still walking, she answered with a nod. "Yes, well I don't read much considering I was only allowed a small selection of books growing up for reasons of protection, but it is enjoyable,"

   I hadn't grasped the concept of a girl being held so isolated that she wasn't even allowed to read various books, but I nodded as if I understood, then continue by her side with my hands held behind my back.

   I know not what caused her sudden outburst of speech, but it spilled off of her tongue before she could retrieve any sense on the topic. "I often wish I were not of noble blood, so I could become a scholar or scroll keeper." Of course no sensible women were to be such a low stature as being book holders or vendors, that was meant for most men, which is why she seemed regretful of opening her mouth in the first place.

   This caused a small interest to gain in me, enough to tilt my head in her direction with furrowed brows. "Why would you desire that? You have everything anybody would ever dream of now," I insisted. Now that she was here there was no mistaking the power she could yield; her being the future Queen of Erebor.

   She simply gazed upon me, while still taking light steps and a small forced smile accompanied by a quick nod. I knew she feared me, which didn't precisely satisfy me, but there was also a sense of knowledge that she was mine. I could do with her as I please and nobody could object, other than Thorin.

   Fighting the urge to be a bastard towards her, I halted and opened my mouth to genuinely apologize from my coldness towards her the past few moons, but fate would have it another way. "Brother," Kili came striding towards us with a grin spread across his stubbly face. "Lady Teryn," Kili then said happily to acknowledge the timid Dwarves presence.

   Both Teryn and I tilted our necks to meet his greeting; she immediately bowed her jaw towards the ground. Standing and rolling my head I said "The time is not appropriate, Kili. Teryn and I were-"

   "That's tremendously exceptional, it certainly is, but the guards are preparing for a ride down Esgaroth. A herd of Kine of Araw were scouted just a few miles South, didn't you say you wanted a hide?" My brother further interrupted me with a tempting offer.

  After sending Kili a scowl, I pivoted back to Teryn, who was shyly standing with her hands clasped in front of her green draped gown. "Another time." I said referring to my leave from her. The words barricaded themselves in a crater of guilt before finally deciding to withdrawal from my impertinence.

   "Yes, Your Highness." Another bow folded off of the Belegostian princess.

   She began stepping away as gently as a Kirinki; making minimal fragile foot steps away as I walked in the opposite direction.

   In my path was Kili, with an expression I had known far to well. "No,"  my vocal chords echoed in the sternness that developed in my word.

   Kili's smile only grew as he started walking backwards to maintain a face to face conversation. "Come on, what better way to get to know your betrothed than venturing to a hunt with her?" Eagerness sprang from his idea.

   "She wouldn't enjoy that," I shook my head, brushing away the possibility of Teryn ever riding a pony. She wouldn't even know how to mount the saddle, let alone chase down Kine of Araw.