Chapter - 8 - Disappointing Realizations

Teryn's P.O.V

      Lights illuminated before me as dancers unfolded their intricate patterns of the foot and twirled around the tables of rich fruits and ale. Males laughed and clanked gold cups and grew in excitement over the first days of Dorumbar as females showed their latest fashions and gossip. Thorin sat upon his throne and chuckled with such genuine happiness as Fili made rounds of greetings.

   "You should be dancing, this is a day of joy and remembrance. What better way to mark your arrival as a strong figure than showing these Dwarves your moves." Half-Drunken Kili waltzed up to me with a deep amusement.

    I huffed entertainment. "Not a chance, I would fall flat on my face if I ever tried to move alongside them." The thought of even stepping into the cluster of dancers shot anxiety through me and sheltered me further into a vision on embarrassment.

    There was a heavy amount of music flowing through all halls and corridors, alerting every being in Rhovanion of the Dwarven holiday that ensured a full stomach of all that celebrated. Warmth also swept across the Great Hall in a comforting trance that accompanied the bellies full to the brim.

      I looked to my left and found Dis raising an exotic slice of food to her mouth as a grin laced her lips while Bombur eliminated all cheesy breads on the west wing of the long table. Then, as soon as I tilted my chin the other direction, my eyes fell upon the King Thorin, who held a warm and comforting smile in my direction.

    Planning to simply return the kindness and continue on with my standing solitude,  I gave a nod of formality and a lower of my gaze before bringing it back up and noticing that instead of him carrying on with the festivities, he raised a hand and beckoned me to come forward.

    A race of increased heart rate sent a sliver of nerves to take course through me as I began to step nearer to the great King under the Mountain. What had he wanted, had I done something wrong to upset his majesty? I continued unraveling a rope of anxiety as inward questions of failure rose.

    I lowered my head as I walked across the loud room and as I was trekking, my eyes remained on the flowing bottom hem of my light blue gown with every step I pushed forward.

    Once I knew I was close enough, I glanced up to the figure with a crown placed upon his head before again lowering my eyes and setting a small curtsy.

    "Lady Teryn," His deep voice greeted me back up to a straight stand.

    "Your Majesty," I returned the etiquette's as I scanned his features gently; greying hairs, large beard that also streaked the lighter shade of aging, wrinkles that defined his forehead, eyes and around his mouth as well as a soft gaze.

     Judging the very small creases that lined the curves of his lips, I knew it wasn't until a while ago that he smiled; most likely around the time of the reclamation of Erebor, but the deep set wrinkles between his brows showcased years of pain and thought. Before me stood a Dwarve of such significance, and I was a merely pawn with nothing but a title to impress.

     Thorin's left foot took place before the other, veering his body around. "Walk with me," he offered in a friendly manner and I did as what was told of me, and walked beside him a few paces.

    There was much awkward silence to be evident; pushing my attention to span across the sea of jolly party events as a time filler until his low voice grew again. "I hear you accompanied Fili on a hunt,"

   I swallowed. "Uhm- well, not much of a hunt considering the lack of animals, and I presume I was more of a bother than an asset, what with my twisted ankle and all." Rambling, Teryn, stop rambling to the king of Erebor.