4.5: Of Suriel and Fates (Part Two)

"The last thing stupid enough to catch one of us was that unruly spring lord, cut down in his prime. Before that, there was a human cauldron-made high lady. And at least they both succeeded."

Vash whirled around to the raspy voice. The hairs on the crawled up the back of his neck as he eyed the tall, lanky humanoid.

Its greyish skin was hidden by a tattered cloak that had seen better days, as the holes gave way to the wind that wrapped around them both.

The Suriel loomed over him, its knobby legs easily towering over the six-foot fae and looked to be only bones under its cloak. It watched him with glossy eyes, unmoved by his sword that was now threateningly close to its throat.

"What are you?"

"I don't owe you an answer, foolish fae." The Suriel scoffed, its eyes shifting from Vash's polished dark tailored green sentinel uniform, before sliding it's attention to the chicken behind him.

"You're a Suriel?"

"Some many questions." The Suriel tsked. It took a step forward and Vash readied himself. "Congratulations on catching that beast, I'd say I'm insulted, but I don't think you care that much."

Vash knew better than to look away from the Suriel as he aimed his weapon at it.

A beast. In his trap, he had managed to capture a beast that was hunting for food.

He'd have to tell Kelda that he had lured two monsters against himself on this night when he returned to Spring Court.

"I'll be taking that, if you don't mind." The Suriel said, jerking a crooked finger in the chicken's direction.

Vash's eyes opened wildly, this thing was dangerous. He had lured it here and unsuccessfully caught it. And now it was here, free of any restraints. But more importantly, Vash now stood between it and it's next meal.

Judging by how thin it was, Vash knew it would do anything to sink its sharpened teeth into the fresh kill as soon as possible, even if it meant having to tear through Vash to get to it.

Vash took a sidestep to avoid the stench that was starting flare up his nostrils. If a Suriel was dangerous in a fight, it was deadly in smell. "I didn't come here to fight." Vash said.

"Agh, your sharp blade says otherwise." The Suriel took a step forward, as the two danced in a tight circle, both refusing to break their stares.

Vash's grip tightened on his sword before he heard the voice of his mate ring through his head.

A strong strategy is everything in a prolonged battle. It's your move, Knucklehead.

Vash pressed on, "I need to know about the blight and how to stop it." He took a daring step forward, causing the Suriel to look his way as it walked. It smiled coyly, but whether it was because it was impressed or shocked at Vash's move, he'd never know.

Vash was playing with fire. He couldn't kill the Suriel without loosing the answers he needed, but he also couldn't let it leave without the knowledge either. His siphon glowed deeply as he willed himself to stay in control.

"Blights happen all the time. There is always a reason for them." The Suriel shrugged, it's sharp yellowed teeth gleamed in the moonlight, "But you won't get your answer from me. You are not clever enough."

"Is that so?" Vash asked slyly.

Just as it took another step forward, opening its mouth to reply, the second trap sprung into action and caught the Suriel's ankles. It whirled, dragging the Suriel upside down and up high enough so that it was suspended from the birch tree beside it. The beast swatted at the Suriel. Thank the Mother, it was just out of reach.