Sixteen: Of Drifters and Destruction

"Welcome to Chronos City," The Queen smiled as they stepped out into the streets.

Cobblestone walls separated houses and storefronts around them and made the beautiful grayscale city a living labyrinth. Although Castle Hybern was a sight to behold, a smile danced along Thalia's lips as she eyed the busy city of hazy lights.

The cottages, no higher than two-story buildings, lined each pathway. Old red copper rooftops blended into a dreamy state of old promises and kindled dreams.

The streets were narrow, meant for only feet and small carts of goods to be wheel around, and as far as she could see, fae filled the streets. Business stalls lined the square that they stood in, all formed around a central water fountain that Thalia deduced was a monument to an event important to the people.

with water, she realized that this being probably didn't have a happy ending to his story.

"I've never head of cities here."

The Queen shrugged, pulling her cloak off her head. The cloak, meant more for a fashion statement than Thalia's warm one, was sleeveless and allowed the Queen to have a graceful Evil Queen persona that she insisted on keeping up.

"I doubt your history books focused on anything other than what they immortalized as the legacy of the males before my time."

"I know that feeling," Thalia admitted. There was so much to learn about the places around the island.

She watched as a male fae glared, slipping a hood onto his head and blending into the crowded alleyway. He carried a large box of glass, filled with some form of liquid into the alley with him. Thalia supposed some streets were too small for even carts to fit, and that deliveries to shops kept out of sight would need a runner to lug things back and forth. She fought the urge to run up to the stalls and start asking questions to the people, especially as a hush fell upon the crowd.

Finding themselves at the center of attention, the crowds of people went silent, watching the Queen as she took a step forward with a smirk. Almost immediately, everyone bowed, singling out Thalia who remained standing by the fountain.

"Come along, Rosebud." The Queen walked through the crowd, that divided into groups so that the Queen had a straight path to her destination.

Thalia shifted at the tense air that hung as they watched the Queen, some of the older fae had scowled and kept their heads tilted, but not out of respect.

She looked through the crowd, spotting a little girl staring at her. Thalia smiled reaching for the flower behind her ear. She walked up to the little girl. Not long ago, she was young like this too.

"Hi there," She greeted. The pig tailed girl blushed, hiding behind the doll that she squeezed in her arms. Her simple dress was dirtied at the bottom as if she had just been out playing in the mud. "What's your name?"

When she was met with no response, Thalia chuckled at the shy girl. "I like your doll," She continued, "And you know what I think your doll needs? A flower!"

"Whoa." The little fae giggled as Thalia offered the red rose to her. Thalia hadn't noticed, but the adults in the crowd that watched the interaction mumbled to each other with raised eyebrows and horrified expressions at the gesture.

"Watch this. I used to do this for my cousin." Thalia smiled, cupping her hands. She willed energy into her fingertips and slowly a small secondary flower grew in her hands. It was the same colour as the rose that the little girl held tightly. Thalia brought the flower up to the child's ear, tucking it behind her ear and offering her a warm smile.