Chapter 17

We walked along the edge of the force field. I kept throwing pebbles at it which made a crackle sound so I knew how close we were to it. I saw a huge tree ahead of me.

"Hang on." I said. Then I put my bow on my back and started climbing up the tree. It was a long climb but I eventually got to the top. I looked at the view. I could see everything. I saw the lake and center. And I saw a bunch of jungle all around me. I looked at the sky above me. I noticed something strange. The clouds weren't moving. I took the bow off my back and slid an arrow on. I aimed towards the sky and released. I watched the arrow make a crackle sound as it hit the 'top' of the arena. So it's a dome. Kind of like the Maze. I climbed back down. Everyone was waiting at the bottom.

"The force field, it's a dome. We're at the edge of the arena. We couldn't find any signs of fresh water." I said.

"It's gonna get dark soon. We'll be safe with our backs protected. We should set up camp. Take turns sleeping. I can take first watch." Finnick said.

"Not a chance." I scoffed. Finnick got up and faced me.

"Honey that thing I did back there for Peeta, that was called saving his life. If I wanted to kill either of you I would've done it by now." Finnick said then he walked off. I sighed and turned to Peeta

"Why don't you get some rest? I'll take the first watch." I said.

"Just for a little bit." Peeta said. I nodded and I watched Finnick help Mags get settled in.

***

It was dark and Finnick decided to stay up with me. I still don't trust him. Sweat trickled down my face. God it's so hot out here.

"How's Peeta?" Finnick asked.

"He's okay I think. Just dehydrated like the rest of us." I said. Suddenly the Panem anthem was playing. I looked up to the sky. The names of the dead Tributes so far showed up. After it was over I looked down at my feet.

"Eight." I counted. That means there's 16 of us left. Then I heard electronic beeping in the distance. Is it what I think it is? I saw the package land on the ground a few feet away. I immediately got up and ran over to it. I saw a note on top:

Drink up -H

"Drink up?" I said aloud.

"What is it?" Finnick asked.

"It's from Haymitch." I said. I looked down at what was in the box. Some kind of tool. I studied it.

"I think it's a spite." I said.

"A what?" Finnick asked in confusion. I ignored him and ran over to a tree. I hammered the spite in with a rock. Then I waited. Come on. Please work. Everyone gathered around. Suddenly water cane spewing out of the spite. I gasped in awe and started drinking the fresh water.

"You're kidding me. You're kidding me." Finnick said in disbelief and excitement. We all took turns drinking the water. Mags was still sitting down. Finnick came up with a leaf and filled it with water. He then went over to Mags and gave her the leaf full of water. We drank the water gratefully. I washed my face and hair with it too. Me and Finnick sat for a few more hours watching. Suddenly an alarm started going off. It sounded like someone was banging a gong. The noise hurt my ears. It woke everyone else up too. We all sat up trying to figure out what was going on. I counted silently. Then the alarm stopped.

"I counted twelve." I said.

"Midnight?" Finnick suggested.

"Or the number of Districts." I said. I looked out where I saw a bunch of trees together. One tree in particular stood out to me. It was the biggest one in the arena. It was also close to the lake. Suddenly lightning started to strike the tree. 12 strikes then the lightning was gone. Finnick sighed.

"Well.... if you're not gonna sleep, I will." Finnick said.

"Okay." I said. Then Finnick got up and made himself comfortable near Mags. I stared at the fake sky. And somehow I drifted off to sleep.

***

I jerked awake. I had a nightmare again. I caught my breath and looked around. I saw Peeta still fast asleep. Finnick and Mags were too. I leaned up against the rock and breathed. I felt a strange light breeze blow over me. I looked to my right. A strange fog was blowing towards us. It drifted quickly towards me. Curious. Without thinking I reached out towards the fog. My hand touched it. Suddenly burning, boiling pain shot through my hand. I screamed in agony and fell on the ground.

"Run! Run! The fog is poison!" I yelled. Everyone's head shot up in alarm. We all scrambled to our feet. Mags jumped onto Finnick's back and we all started through the dark jungle. The fog was on our tail. Swiftly drifting towards us. The fog started to surround us from all directions. We weaved in and out trying to dodge it. I tripped and fell onto the ground. Peeta ran up to me and tried helping me to my feet. I heard him grunt in pain as the fog touched his neck. We quickly started moving again but this time Peeta stumbled to the ground in pain. I turned around and picked him up. We started to run slowly. I heard Finnick start screaming. I looked over and saw that he fell. The fog got his back. Finnick fought through the pain and got Mags back on. Peeta fell again. His face was covered in boils.

"Peeta." I gasped. Finnick stumbled over to us. The fog was quickly coming.

"I can't carry him." I cried. Finnick had a sick look on his face.

"Peeta please." I begged. Suddenly Mags kissed Finnick on the forehead. She then proceeded into the fog.

"Mags!" Finnick screamed. It was too late, the cannon went off.

"Finnick we have to go." I said. Finnick was still in shock and the fog was quickly enclosing on us. I repeated what I said. Finnick gave me a long look then he nodded.

"Alright. Come on." Finnick said. We each took one of Peeta's arms then we started to make our way through the jungle away from the fog. However we were too slow. The fog caught up to us. I felt my back boiling with pain. I screamed. Suddenly we fell down a ravine. We tumbled down and down. I hit the ground with a thud. I shuddered in pain. I turned onto my back. I saw the fog traveling down the ravine. Oh no. This is it. This is how I die. There was no way I could escape the fog anymore. Before the fog could get any closer it was like it hit an invisible wall. The fog couldn't go through. It's like an invisible wall was in between me and the fog. The fog disappeared. I breathed a sigh of relief. I heard the boys whimpering in pain. I laid my head back down. I saw a huge monkey staring at me. I ignored it and turned onto my stomach. I saw a small pond of water. Water. I slowly crawled toward the water. When I reached it I slipped my hand into it. I screamed in agony. The water burned away the boils. I rubbed my hand. The boils were gone.

"The water. The water helps." I grunted. I heard Peeta groan and crawl up next to me. I crawled into the pond. I screamed again as the boils were burned away. But then I felt better. Peeta did the same. We picked up Finnick and put him in the water. Finnick let out a horrific scream. But after a minute or so he stopped.

"We need our weapons." I said. Peeta nodded and got out of the water. I stayed in the water holding Finnick. Mags is gone. A tear rolled down my cheek. I was really starting to like her.