Chapter 10

After I stopped crying I realized it was getting dark.

"Peeta." I said. I need to see Peeta. I got up and ran out of the woods and back to my house. I burst into Peeta's house. I heard bottles clinking around. Haymitch must be drinking. I walked into the dining room and there sat Haymitch. But no Peeta.

"Ah there she is. Finally did the math. And you've come to what? Ask me to die?" Haymitch said. I sat down next to him.

"I'm here to drink." I said grabbing a bottle.

"Oh finally something I can help you with." Haymitch said. I took a huge swig of the alcohol. Whoo. That lifts the weight off my shoulders for a bit.

"What's it say that Peeta was here 45 minutes ago begging to save your life and you only just now show up?" Haymitch asked.

"It means we have to save him." I said.

"You could live a 100 lifetimes and never deserve that boy." Haymitch said.

"Come on Haymitch. Nobody decent ever wins the Games." I said.

"Nobody ever wins that Games. Period. There are survivors. There's no winners."

"Peeta has to survive. We have to do whatever it takes to save him." I said. Haymitch sighed.

"Alright if....if they call his name, I'll volunteer in his place."

"Haymitch thank you."

"But they call my name and Peeta volunteers, there's nothing I can do."

"You can help him in the arena. Like you did for me."

"Ah. I think these Games are gonna be different."

"I don't care. Do whatever you can. Peeta lives. Not me. Promise me." I said. If I die, then I can be with newt. it's a sacrifice worth making.

"Okay." Haymitch said.

***

I sat on the grassy meadow with Gale. I felt the early morning breeze blowing by.

"We should've gone when you said." Gale said sadly. I looked at him. I might not ever see him again. I cupped his face and kissed him on the cheek. Then I got up and left. Today is the day I leave. I don't think I'm coming back. This isn't going to be the one thing I make it back from.

***

Peacekeepers escorted me, Peeta, and Haymitch into the town square. All of District 12 was standing there. As we passed the front of the crowd I made eye contact with Bri. I could see the fear and tears in her eyes. I wanted to hug her but I couldn't. I stood on one side of the stage. Peeta and Haymitch stood on the other. Effie stood in the middle with a mic.

"Welcome. As we celebrate the 75th anniversary and third Quarter Quell of the Hunger Games. As always.....ladies first." Effie said. I could hear the sadness in her voice when she said that last part. She picked up a single card from the bowl of District 12 female Victors. Tears started to sting my eyes.

"The female Tribute from district 12, Maddie Everdeen." Effie said sadly. Tears rolled down my cheeks. I slowly walked up beside Effie.

"Wonderful. And now for the men." Effie said. I looked at Haymitch who gave me a slight nod. Effie shuffled around two cards. She picked one and stood back in front of the mic.

"The male Tribute from district 12." Effie said. She opened the card and sighed.

"Haymitch Abernathy." Effie sighed.

"I volunteer as Tribute." Peeta immediately said. Haymitch grabbed Peeta.

"I can't let you do that." Haymitch said.

"You can't stop me." Peeta said.

"Peeta." Haymtich pressed.

"Let go." Peeta said. Peeta shook off Haymitch's grasp and stood next to Effie. More tears rolled down my cheeks. Not only am I going back, Peeta is going back.

"Very well. The Tributes from District 12. Maddie Everdeen and Peeta Mellark." Effie said. All at once, everyone held up the Three Finger Salute. Me and Peeta did too. Suddenly me and Peeta were grabbed by Peacekeepers. Effie tried to stop them but they wouldn't listen.

"I want to say goodbye." I said. The Peacekeepers ignored me and kept walking. Bri started screaming my name.

"I want to say goodbye. Please." I begged.

"Straight to the train." The Peacekeeper said.

"Goodbye!" I yelled as I was dragged away.