Chapter 6

"Maddie and I want to share with you our victory. And our gratitude to the Capitol for bringing us together." peeta said. We stood on another stage in a different district. I had that fake smile on my face.

"It was the bond of love, forged in the crucible of the Games that was our greatest prize. For it is love and true love that allows us all to bare our hardships. That mends the heart and banishes loneliness and gives meaning to our lives." peeta said. He finished the speech then we kissed. I looked at the crowd. Some looked very angry. I said my part then we left and headed for the next district.

***

"We also want to share with you the sorrows of your losses. The Tributes of this....." I stopped when I saw Peacekeepers grab a person for holding up the three finger salute. I looked at Haymitch. He gave me a slight nod, gesturing for me to continue. I hesitated then I continued, looking at the cards.

"The Tributes of this District were brave and noble warriors. They brought honor to their families and pride to their people. We are all of us united both Victors and vanquished in serving a common purpose." I said. I finished the speech then we headed to the next district.

***

Me and peeta just arrived on stage. A little girl greeted me with flowers.

"Thank you." I said smiling. The little girl smiled back.

"One day I'm gonna volunteer. Just like you did." She said. The smile disappeared from my face. Hopefully the Games are over for good. This isn't the message I want to give people. I have no intention on inspiring anyone to volunteer. Me and peeta said our speech then left.

***

I woke up screaming. I had another nightmare. peeta came running in.

"It was just a dream. I'm sorry." I breathed.

"It's okay. I get them too." peeta said. I looked at him.

"Goodnight." peeta said turning to walk out the door.

"peeta." I called out. He turned back around.

"Will you stay with me?" I asked.

"Yeah." peeta said. He crawled into the bed next to me. I put my head on his chest. i pretended that peeta was newt. it made me feel better

"Always." peeta whispered. I felt safer. I felt like I could dream again. No nightmares. I quickly fell asleep wrapped in his arms.

***

I rode in the truck going to the town square in the next district. We passed a building that was spray painted with the words:

The odds are NEVER in our favor

I looked down trying not to think bad thoughts. We arrived at the stage and I started saying my speech.

".....We are all of us united, both Victors and vanquished in serving a common purpose. The power and glory of the Capitol." I said. The crowd started yelling at us for our real opinion. I kept a smile and kept reading from the cards.

"Panem today. Panem tomorrow. Panem forever." I said. Me and peeta held hands in the air. The crowd was angry with us. Peacekeepers were holding them back as me and peeta were escorted away.

***

"Snow is watching us. If he wants you to pacify the districts I promise you he's not happy. Instead of being in love, you two sound like you're reciting from a drilling manual." Haymitch said. Me and peeta looked down. We were on the train heading to the Capitol now. It's obvious we've both done a terrible job of the Victory Tour.

"You try reading that stuff that Effie writes us." peeta said.

"Tell that to President Snow when you see him two days from now." Haymitch retorted.

"I'm open to suggestions." peeta said.

"We could get married." I said. I didn't want to say it but I did. It's the only way to convince everyone.

"That's not helping." Haymitch said taking a sip of his drink.

"I'm serious. If like you said were on this train forever it's gonna happen eventually. Why not now?" I said. It feels strange. however I'm trying to remind myself that this is just to convince Snow. This is for survival.

"It does make a statement. I'll give you that." Haymitch chuckled.

"Yeah sure. Let's do it." peeta said.