Chapter 21

"I have a plan." Beetee said sitting down next to me. Johanna got everyone gathered. We all sat, waiting for Beetee to explain his plan.

"Where do the Careers feel safest? The jungle?" Beetee asked.

"The jungle's a nightmare." Johanna said.

"Probably here on the beach." Peeta suggested.

"Then why are they not here?" Beetee asked.

"Because we are. We claimed it." Johanna said.

"And if we left they would come." Beetee said.

"Or stay hidden in the tree line." Finnick said.

"Which in just over 4 hours will be soaked with water from the 10:00 wave. And what happens at midnight?" Beetee said.

"Lightning strikes that tree." I answered.

"Here's what I propose. We leave the beach at dusk. We head to the lightning tree. That should draw them back to the beach. Prior to midnight we then run this wire from the tree to the water. Anyone in the water or on the damp sand will be electrocuted." Beetee explained. I looked at the spool of wire in Beetee's lap.

"How do we know the wire is not gonna burn up?" Johanna asked.

"Because I invented it. I assure you it won't burn up." Beetee said. Finnick looked at Johanna and gave a slight nod.

"Well it's better than hunting them down." Johanna sighed.

"Yeah, why not? If it fails, no harm done anyway, right?" I said.

"All right, I say we try it. So what can we do to help?" Peeta asked.

"Keep me alive for the next 6 hours. That would be extremely helpful." Beetee said.

***

Me and Peeta were sitting on the beach. We were out of earshot. I looked at him cautiously.

"do you think it's possible that newt is still alive?" i asked

"maddie, you watched him die."

"but the jabberjays...i heard newt"

"it's impossible" peeta said. i dropped it. he was right. there was no way newt could of survived. even if he did he couldn't of gotten here. something else popped into my mind.

"I think we need to go." I said in a low voice.

"This plan is gonna work." Peeta said.

"I think so too. And once the Careers are dead we both know what happens next. I don't want to be the one that shoots first." I explained.

"What if they don't either? What if all of us refuse to shoot first?" Peeta said.

"We might still end up dead." I said.

"Maybe not. I mean it worked for us last time." Peeta said.

"They're not gonna make that same mistake again. You know and I know that there's only one person walking out of here. And it's gonna be one of us." I tried to explain. Peeta sighed.

"The Careers are still out there. We should stick with these guys til midnight. And if we hear a cannon, we go." Peeta said. I looked around. I saw Johanna talking to Beetee. I thought for a second then nodded in agreement.

"Maddie, I don't... I don't know what kinda deals you made with Haymitch but he made me promises too." Peeta said. He took off a golden necklace.

"If you die and I live, I'd have nothing. Nobody else that I care about." Peeta said sadly.

"Peeta." I started.

"It's different for you. Your family needs you." Peeta said. He opened the necklace and handed it to me. I studied it. 3 pictures were inside. My mom, Bri, and Gale.

"You have to live. For them." Peeta said. I looked at him.

"What about you?" I asked sadly.

"Nobody needs me." Peeta said.

"I do. I need you." I said softly. Then I did something I never thought I'd do. I leaned in and kissed him. Not a fake kiss. A real one. Peeta seemed astonished. Then he cupped my face and returned the kiss. I leaned my forehead against his.

"All right lovebirds!" I heard Johanna yell. It's time to go. I pulled away and started to gather my things.

***

We ran through the dark jungle. Suddenly we stopped in our tracks when we heard the Panem Anthem start to play. We looked towards the sky. I saw Wiress' face pop up. Then Mags. I sighed. After the slideshow was finished we carried on our way towards the lightning tree.

When we arrived at the tree, we examined it.

"Minimal charring. It's an impressive conductor. Let's get started." Beetee said. We unspooled the wire around and around the tree.

"Typically a lightning strike contains 5 billion joules of energy. We don't want to be anywhere in the vicinity when this hits." Beetee explained. He gave me the rest of the wire spool.

"You two girls go together now. Take this. Unspool it carefully. Make sure the entire coil is in the water. You understand? Then head to the tree at the 2:00 sector. We'll meet you there." Beetee said. I looked at Johanna. I can't go with her. Me and Peeta need to stay together so we can leave before anyone gets killed.

"I'm gonna go with them as a guard." Peeta said.

"No. You're staying here to protect me. And the tree." Beetee said.

"No I need to go with her." Peeta argued.

"There are 2 Careers out there. I need 2 guards." Beetee explained.

"Finnick can protect you just fine on his own." Peeta said frustrated.

"Yeah why can't Finnick and Johanna stay with you and Peeta and I'll take the coil?" I spoke up.

"You all agreed to keep me alive til midnight correct?" Beetee asked questioningly.

"It's his plan. We all agreed to it." Johanna said.

"Is there a problem here?" Finnick asked.

"Excellent question." Beetee agreed.

"No. There's no problem." I said defeated. Then I turned around and kissed Peeta.

"I'll see you at midnight." I said reassuringly.

"All right let's go!" Johanna demanded. Still carrying the spool I started to follow her. I looked back at Peeta. I'll make it back. Right? I'll see him again.