Chapter 12

I was in my black dress walking up to my chariot. Peeta wasn't there yet. The other Tributes were at their chariots. The makeup weighed heavy on my face. When I got to my chariot I petted the horse. I sighed.

"How'd we get here huh?" I said.

"Maddie." A voice called out. I turned around. A handsome young man walked up to me.

"Hello Finnick." I said dryly. Finnick flipped around a sugar cube. He was in his outfit. No shirt. Just pants. Classic Finnick.

"Do you want a sugar cube?" He asked. He walked closer to me.

"I mean it's supposed to be for the horses but I mean who cares about them right? They got years to eat sugar whereas you and I... well if we see something sweet we better grab it." Finnick said holding out the sugar cube.

"No thanks. But I would love to borrow that outfit someday." I said.

"You look pretty terrifying in that getup. What happened to the pretty little girl dresses?" Finnick asked.

"I outgrew them." I said sternly.

"You certainly did. Shame about this Quell thing. Now you... you could've made out like a bandit in the Capitol. Jewels, money, anything you wanted." Finnick said.

"Well I don't like jewels and I have more money than I need so. What did you do with all your wealth anyway?" I asked.

"I haven't dealt in anything as common as money in years." Finnick said.

"Then how do people pay for the pleasure of your company?" I asked. Finnick got closer and leaned towards my ear.

"With secrets." He whispered. He leaned back.

"What about you Girl on Fire? Any secrets worth my time?" Finnick teased.

"I'm an open book. Everybody always seems to know my secrets before I know them myself." I said.

"Unfortunately I think that's true." Finnick said. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Peeta and Cinna walking towards us. Finnick noticed too.

"I'm sorry you had to cancel your wedding. I know how devastating that just be for you." Finnick said. He popped the sugar cube into his mouth.

"Have a good day." He said turning around to meet Peeta.

"Peeta." He greeted.

"Finnick." Peeta said dryly. Then Finnick snickered and walked off.

"What'd he want?" Peeta asked

"To know all my secrets." I chuckled.

"He'll have to get in line." Peeta laughed.

"Tributes mount up." The PA instructed.

"No waving and smiling this time. I want you to look straight ahead as if the audience and this whole event are beneath you." Cinna said.

"That should be easy." I said. Cinna handed me a little remote.

"Press this when you're ready. Good luck." Cinna said. I smiled and then got into my chariot with Peeta. It started moving, following the others. I held Peeta's hand as we emerged from the tunnel. The audience all around us was cheering. The drums were beating their music. As we got closer I locked eyes with President Snow, who was standing on the tall podium. I pressed the button on the little remote and my outfit and Peeta's burst into flames. I heard the audience start chanting my name. I couldn't tell if that made Snow happy or unhappy.

***

Me and Peeta exited the chariot. Haymitch was clapping.

"Nice. Way to make friends out there you two." Haymitch said.

"Well we learned from the best." I teased. Two people stood beside Haymitch.

"I wanna introduce you to some special friends of mine. This is Seeder and Chaff. From District 11." Haymitch said. Suddenly the male kissed me on the lips. I instantly pulled back. How disgusting. Haymtich laughed.

"Yeah he's uh... very friendly. Don't invite him over. He'll drink up to your liquor. I'll see you guys soon. Let's get some of that makeup off you and talk about some of these other Tributes." Haymitch said. Me and Peeta followed him to the elevator.

"These Tributes are crazy." I whispered harshly.

"No not all of them. He's a good guy." Haymitch said. I rolled my eyes. We stepped onto the elevator. Right before the door shut a girl walked in.

"You guys look amazing." She said.

"Thank you." I said.

"My stylist is such an idiot. District 7. Lumber. Trees. Ugh. I'd love to put my ax in her face." She said. She started taking off her jewelry and throwing it to the ground.

"So what do you think? Now that the whole world wants to sleep with you?" She asked. I scoffed.

"I don't think that the whole world-" I started but she cut me off.

"I wasn't talking to you." She said dryly.

"Okay." I muttered.

"Will you unzip?" She asked Peeta.

"Yeah." Peeta said. I gave him a look as he unzipped her dress. She sighed and took off her dress. She stared each of us in the eye. She was completely naked now. I bet Peeta and Haymitch was enjoying the show but I sure wasn't. I looked up at the ceiling. I saw her wink at Haymitch. Then the door opened and she stepped out.

"Thanks. Let's do it again sometime." She said leaving.

"Thank you." Haymtich said. Then he looked at us.

"Johanna Mason. District 7." Haymitch said. I sighed. These Tributes are crazy. All of them. Can I just kill myself now?