Chapter 7: Hoist By Their Own Petard

A day or so had passed and Kaga was not seeing any signs of further activity from the strange cluster.

"Now I'm really concerned as to what this is..." Kaga mumbles. "Any scouting planes we send out get shot down right away."

"Any ideas on what to do next?" Akagi asks, but before she can ask anything else Amagi stumbles in, almost as if she had been running away from something. "Amagi?! What happened?!"

"The Ironblood's Z2 just came to me saying that they had been the victim of a surprise attack!" Amagi says between breaths.

"A surprise attack?!" Akagi asks in shock. "From who?!"

"They say that a swarm of hellcats and seafires descended upon them and razed everything!" Amagi explains.

"I had a hunch that was going to happen!" Kaga grumbles. "Someone get Shikikan!"

"What's going on?" Ayanami asks as she walks into the room.

"Get Shikikan in here right away, this could be bad!" Kaga replies.

"Roger." Ayanami says as she rushes off to Shikikan's residence. While she runs she bolts past Atago and Takao, who spin about to see why she's running.

"What's going on?" Atago asks. "Looks like you've just seen a ghost."

"Something bad's happened. Meet with Akagi and Kaga in the projector room." Ayanami replies.

"Sounds like something serious has happened. We'll meet you there." Takao says. "Come on Atago."

"Right." Atago replies as the two cruisers rush off while Ayanami rushes to Shikikan's residence. Once she reaches the place she practically begins bashing on the door to get Shikikan's attention, and the door opens to reveal Naganami, guns at the ready.

"I thought you were an intruder! Gosh!" Naganami whines. "What's got you banging on our door at this time?"

"It's serious, get Shikikan and Shinano into the projector room. You come too." Ayanami explains and Nagnami, understanding the imminent urgency, gets Shikikan and Shinano. A minute passes but everyone has made it into the projector room where Kaga explains the news that Amagi gave her.

"So, what's the situation?" Shikikan asks.

"Looks like that cluster of blips was a bit more serious than we thought." Kaga replies. "The Ironbloods came to us earlier saying that a swarm of planes from the Eagle Union and the Royal Navy razed them."

"That ain't good." Shikikan grumbles. "They're attacking from Greenland?"

"That's what it would seem like." Kaga says. "I've tried to scout out the place before but the recon planes kept getting shot down."

"I didn't expect the Azur Lane to act so quickly..." Shikikan says. "What of the other Ironbloods?"

"They bunkered down to try and outlast the attack. The planes are still out there as we speak." Kaga replies.

"We'll have to get out there and help them out at the very least." Shikikan says. "Shinano, Akagi, Kaga, we'll be getting out there and taking them down. The Ironbloods won't be able to last long."

"Right." Akagi replies. "Let's get out there and help them."

"Let us bring down the hammer of justice on our foes!" Shinano calls out as she, Akagi and Kaga rush out while Shikikan mans a cruiser that's been refitted for anti air purposes. Fortunately it doesn't take too long for the three carriers to reach Ironblood territory, but upon being spotted they're quickly fired upon!

"Crap! Quickly intercept!" Shikikan shouts as the carriers send out their planes.

"What the?! We got company!" Enterprise calls out as she notices the zeroes moving into intercept her planes. "Yorktown! Help me out here!"

"I'm on it!" Yorktown calls out as she sends out her own planes to intercept.

"Well, looks like they're not gonna give up without a fight." Shikikan mumbles. "Might as well join the firefight myself." He says as he looks to Shinano. "Shinano, send out one of your planes. I'm gonna be taking to the skies myself."

"Are you sure about that?" Shinano asks. "What if you get shot down?"

"I won't." Shikikan replies as Shinano sends out a zero and it begins diving at Shikikan's destroyer.

"Shikikan?!" Akagi asks, but then she realizes what he's doing as he pulls off a very familiar stunt, hopping into the cockpit and taking control for himself as he joins the firefight.

"Illustrious, Lexington, I hope you two are ready." Yorktown says as the two aforementioned carriers move into position."

"Let's do this!" Lexington calls out. "Let's give them a show that they'll be carrying to their graves!"