11 ↝ The Next Addison Rae

"Head for the stars, be who we are,
Living like creatures of the night,
Never grow old, stay young in our soul,
We can outrun the daylight,"
- Creatures Of The Night by
Hardwell & Austin Mahone

The cold blast of the air conditioning in the shopping mall hits me, Nessa and Kiara as we enter through the large sliding doors. The place is huge and magnificent, with floors and floors of designer and branded shops lined up.

As we make our way deeper inside the mall, I almost bump into two teenage girls trying to film a TikTok video, the familiar 'corvette corvette' music blasting from their phone.

"I understand that a lot of people want to be the next Addison Rae, but some of us are trying to walk here!" Nessa huffs as we walk past them, raising her voice towards the end for the two teenagers to hear.

But they don't, too engrossed in their dance moves, so I wrap an arm around Nessa's shoulders and steer her away from them, Kiara giggling as she follows us.

As promised, Nessa dragged me and Kiara to the mall to buy Halloween costumes. The party is in two days, and here we are, in one of the biggest malls in NYC. The boys have soccer practice, so they'll be joining us once they're done.

"Anyways," Nessa sassily throws her hair over her shoulder. "Okay, so we need white shirts, a full black outfit, fake blood, and boots."

"Don't forget the masks." Kiara reminds. "Make sure to get those cool LED light up ones."

"I already have knee high boots." I say, mentally going through the contents of my closet. "And a black top. I just need shorts or something."

"That should do. I have black shorts as well, so I might just buy a black tank top to go with it." Kiara adds, to which Nessa and I nod along, agreeing.

"I barely have any black clothes, so let's go." Nessa states, and leads us into the first shop that we come across.

We part ways in the shop, checking out different racks of clothes. I'm admiring a pretty skirt when I hear my name being called.

"Alex!" Nessa waves me over, and shows me a leather skirt that looks like it would barely reach past my thighs. "This'll look amazing on you."

Before I can protest, she pushes me into a changing room to try it on. As I guessed, it only reaches a little past my thighs, leaving most of my legs bare. The skirt is tight, and fit to size. It's a little sexier than what I've been usually wearing for the past year or so. I'd avoided wearing anything short or revealing after what had happened.

I take a deep breath, and look at myself in the mirror, admiring the way the skirt hugged my thighs and outlined my figure.

I'm leaving my broken self behind. This would be another step forward.

Since my boots will be covering most of my legs anyway, I make up my mind to go ahead and buy them. After changing back into my clothes, I walk back out into the shop and help Nessa and Kiara choose some of their clothes as well, and we pay for our items before setting off in search of the other things on our list.

Two long hours later, we have everything we need. The three of us carrying all our bags, we head to the food court, hungry after the long shopping spree. Kiara occupies a table with our bags until Nessa and I surf the restaurants.

"I'm really really craving Wendy's." Nessa looks around, rubbing her stomach in anticipation. "Ah, there it is!"

She drags me over to Wendy's, and we stand in line, deciding what to get.