07 ↝ Better Off Alone

"If I stay on your mind,
Two can play that game,
but you win me every time,
Everyone before you,
was a waste of time."
- Break My Heart by Dua Lipa

The sound of the door clicking echoes through the quiet room as Alex closes it, and I catch the horrified expression on her face right before it disappears

The sound of the door clicking echoes through the quiet room as Alex closes it, and I catch the horrified expression on her face right before it disappears. An odd feeling washes over me, and a few beats later, I feel frustrated when I zone in on the fact that Maya is still on my lap.

I grab her hips and gently push her off me, and she lands lightly on the bed next to me.

"Hunter?" Her high pitched voice squeaks, frowning. I look at her, my face morphing into it's usual stoic expression.

"Not now." I say firmly, getting to my feet.

Before she can protest, I walk out of the room, leaving her behind, stifling a hand through my hair as I go back downstairs, to find the rest of them still engrossed in the movie.

Alex's spot is still empty.

I walk over to the couch and sit in my previous place, trying my best to watch the movie, but my thoughts are way too distracting. The subject of my thoughts appears a few moments later, walking over to her bean bag that is in front of me.

My eyes follow her as she walks across the room, and my chest subconsciously tightens at the sight of her long dancer's legs that are exposed, since she isn't wearing long pants.

I turn my head, and see a few of the boys watching her as well, no doubt admiring her strong, lean legs and annoyance itches inside me.

Why the fuck do I care?

Alex sits, crossing her legs, pushing her silky chocolate hair behind her shoulders.

I feel someone's eyes on me and I turn my head, tensing my jaw when I see Nessa looking at me. She's obviously spotted me looking at Alex, because she wears a huge playful grin, not at all bothering to be discreet.

She sends me a wink, and I roll my eyes, trying to pay attention to the movie, but somehow my eyes can't help but occasionally drift over to the brunette girl sitting in front of me.

✢ ✢ ✢

"Give me two laps boys and we're done for the day!" Coach Valdez hollers, blowing the whistle so hard, I fear that his head would pop off his fucking shoulders.

It's a bright Saturday morning, and Coach had dragged us to the field for an extra morning practice. Although the air is chilly, the sun is still menacing, beating down on us mercilessly.

I let out a heavy breath as I sprint towards the track that's wrapped around the green field, the rest of the team following. My muscles ache after the long hard practice we just had, but I have to power through for the warm down.