58 ↝ American Dream

"My eyes are all cried out,
Lost it, riots,
Gunfire inside my head."
Fuck Love — XXXTENTACION

"Fuck Love — XXXTENTACION

"Ow!"

I rub my head, throwing an annoyed scowl at Nessa, who's eyes widen apologetically.

"I'm sorry!" She squeaks as I bend over to pick up the book she threw at me from across the dorm.

"Why can't you communicate in a normal, painless manner?" I huff, tossing the book back onto her bed before turning back to my desk, where I'm in the middle of finishing an essay.

"You had headphones in." Nessa shrugs, as if that completely makes up for it. "Anyways."

"Yeah?" I ask absentmindedly, my eyes following the passages that I've already written on my laptop, double checking for mistakes.

A small pause follows, and just as I'm about to turn around and ask Nessa what she was going to say, my chair is yanked away from the table and spun on its wheels so I'm facing Nessa.

"Nessa!" I exclaim, feeling a little dizzy from the sudden movement.

"I need your full attention!"

"Okay, okay." I rub my eyes, and lean back against the chair, giving her my undivided attention.

"Good." My best friend smiles, satisfied. "So, you know that the soccer semi-finals and finals are in Los Angeles yeah?"

I nod. "Yeah, Kye mentioned it awhile ago."

"Right, yeah. So when semi-finals and finals happen in the same week just a few days apart, most students go to whichever city the team's playing in and stay there to watch the final games." Nessa says. "We've been doing that since freshman year. When the boys have away games, Kiara, Chloe and I go with them. We usually just book a room in the same hotel they stay in. And after finals, we stay there for an extra week just to check out the city, and either celebrate a win or party off a loss."

"Sounds fun." I smile.

"It is. So we're all going to Los Angeles next week for the last two matches of the season... you'll come, right?" Nessa tilts her head at me, her eyes hopeful.

I pause, my smile faltering. Going would mean that I'll be in close proximity with Hunter most of the time, but I can't say no either, my friends are playing and I have to be there to cheer them on.

I'd have to face him sooner or later, might as well just get it over with.

"Yeah." I nod stiffly, forcing a small smile. "Of course."

"Yes!" Nessa cheers, wrapping me a in a hug. "We'll have so much fun! Los Angeles is gorgeous, and you'll get to experience the American dream."

I crinkle my nose in confusion. "Doesn't the American dream mean having kids and living in a picket fence house and being a soccer mom?"