chapter 7

I was awaken by loud shouting,So was Sil. I was suddenly brought out from under Sil's chin and pressed against the bridge of his nose as he whined,”what's with all the noise… all I want to do is sleep, I  sleepy…”

   I pat his nose softly and mumble “I know buddy, put me down on the floor and I'll see what all the comotion is, OK?”

   Sil was hesitant to let me go,but as the shouting grew closer he puts me on the floor and buried his head under his pillow. I look up at him with a small chuckle before running off to the source of the shoutings. I already knew who the shouting was coming from… the hunters. I soon find the hunters by the loud sounds they made and crouch down by a bush to watch them. There were three of them.

  I knew them all from my old village. There name's were Nanook, Brax, and John. Brax was the leader of the small group. They were arguing over what had escaped their bear trap. 

   “It was a bear that escaped the trap,they're getting smarter I tell ya! “ John exclaimed.

   “Don't be unreasonable you dolt, it was probably a human that wasn't paying attention.”Nanook said,scolding his friend. John and would argue back and forth about what they thought set off the bear trap. Soon Brax interjected there meaningless argument saying “You idiots! There is a giant rumored to be in these woods! The giant probably set it off!”

    I gasp in shock. I heard the rumor before but never connected it to Sil. My gasp had caught the hunters attention...and they spotted me. I stand up quickly and starts sprinting the opposite way of Silver's cave. Luckily Brax, Nanook, and John chase after him shouting “Hey! You're the robber! Get back here so we can claim your hands!”

    I wished to keep my hands attached to my body so I kept running, well until I tripped and fell over a small hill. I laid there for a few moments and listened for the hunters, but they had already dashed off again. 

   I push myself up and trot back to the cave panting and wheezing. I would have ran,but I was out of breath, so I couldn't.  

   I soon get back to Sil's cave and look around. I pale slightly as I walk room to room and don't see the giant anywhere. Did the hunters take him...but how would they do so? Even if Sil was in the sleepy state, he wouldn't go with the hunters,right? I sigh and walk to the giant pillow that is always on the ground. I lay down to take a small nap. I'll need energy if I have to go back to my village…

    ♦♦♦

    I wake up about forty minutes later. I look around sleepily trying to remember what I had to do. It all comes rushing back to me in an instant though. I hop up yelping “SIL!”

   I dart out of the cave and to where I hope they took my giant buddy. Knowing my village,they wouldn't have killed him yet. They would want to study him first.

   It takes me about an hour to get to the outskirts of the small village. I stand in front of a sign that reads ‘ Welcome to Rockville!:where there's a giant to be rumored in the neighboring woods!’. I stare at the sign for a little while. I never thought the rumor was true… I thought it was the myth of our small town. I stalk into Rockville, but mainly stay to the shadows. 

    I needed to look for Sil, even though he probably wasn't dead right now, I don't know how long he has to live, Brax and his goons went very patient for killing their prey...and since Sil set off their bear trap he was considered prey.

   It takes me around twenty minutes of staking around the shadows before finding Sil in a big clearing that's about in the middle of the town. He was shackled and chained down starfish style on his stomach. There were a few people around him. I hide behind a tree to watch them. I see Brax, Nanook, and John but I also see The Mayor, The mayor's son Jewl,and The Mayor's niece Marada.

     The Mayor was talking to the hunters a bit out if my earshot, Jewl was walking away from the scene, and  Marada was softly talking to the very sleepy looking Sil. I crouch down by the tree I was hiding behind to try to listen what Marada was saying to the giant. I started to listen in about halfway into her conversation I think. 

   “- it's OK big guy, even though those idiot hunters say you're dangerous, it's clear you're not… otherwise you'd be struggling against your chains right? My uncle won't kill you, like the hunters want, he's a semi reasonable man. So don't worry, you'll be safe “ Marada coos and starts to gently pet the bridge of Sil's nose. He's eyes halfway close in sleepy bliss at the pets. 

   I wonder if I should come out if hiding,but I fear for my life so I don't. Soon the Mayor, Brax, Nanook, and John walk in the direction of the mayor's office. I wait a few moments before walking up to Marada. “H-Hi Mara...how's the wind been blowing?” I greet her. She turns around and glares at me before breaking into a smile. 

    “Jarry! Hello! It's been swell, but weren't you banished? Also how are you doing?” she yelps out in joy. 

   I give a weak chuckle and rub the back of my neck as I nod my head yes. “uhm yeah… yes… I have been banished, and I'm doing fine. I, uhm, see you met Silver? “ I mumble out with a very weak smile. I knew Marada was no snitch, but I didn't know if I could trust her, even though she was my friend since the age of seven. 

   “so that's his name!” She hums happily then adds,“I haven't been able to get him to talk. I thought he was mute or didn't understand English. He seems pretty sleepy though maybe that's why he ain't talking?”

  I nod and say “yeah, he's just tired. He stepped on one of those bear traps that's laced with the special poison.” Sil had been following our conversation,eyes shifting to who was taking. 

   Marada then hugs Sil's nose, presumably in pity and coos “you poor baby!” Sil closes his eyes happily and nuzzles into her stomach. 

   I then hear the Mayor and Brax coming back. My eyes widen as I scurry back behind the tree. 

       “so you're saying we should kill the giant because he'll deplete our food supply?” the mayor asks, sounding like he was willing to go through with it depending on Brax's answer.

   Brax just simply says “yes”