chapter 6

We arrive at the lake in a couple of minutes. Sil places me and Rosey on the ground then transforms into the giant canine. Rosey follows Sil when he bounces to the water’s edge. Did he have to make the ground shake? I think he does it on purpose to spite me. I can barely keep my balance when he bounces, hop, or jumps!

    I sigh and and sit under a tree to rest. Being near Sil was exhausting. I don’t know how Rosey, being the baby deer she is, can stand to be around such energy all the time. I watch with slight amusement as Sil plays with his pet though, but I end up falling asleep as I sit there. 

        ♦♦♦

    I don’t know how long it was, but some time later I was awoken by a loud yelp.I look around in a slight panic. I see the deer sleeping peacefully a few yards away and Sil. Sil was holding up on if his front paws as if it was hurting him. There was red slightly dripping from that paw. 

    “ Sil, you ok? Why is your paw bleeding? Did you step on something?” I question him. He doesn’t answer me, instead his eyes glaze over and he falls over. His fall shakes the ground terribly. I takes me a few seconds to realize Sil had passed out, but when I do I panic.

    I run over to my unconscious friend. What could have made a giant pass out? Is this bad? I hope it's not bad! I examine Sil body to see if I could find anything wrong. I end up at his bleeding paw. It had a bear trap stuck in it. I kneel with a nervous gulp. I take hold of both sides of the trap and pull. The trap opens so I pull it out of the paw. I quickly throw the trap so it wouldn't close on my fingers.

    “Well that solved half a problem-” I mutter “-But one little thing like that shouldn't have made him pass out…”

I stand and walk to the bear trap. The edges were tinted green. The trap was poisoned! I give a worried glance at Sil. The wound isn't big enough to cause him to bleed to death, but how much poison would you need to kill him? I study Sil’s face and how he was breathing. His expression was slightly pained, but mostly peaceful and his breathing was normal.

    Sil will probably be fine. I walk back over to him and push into his cheek. “ Wakey wakey Silver. It's time to get up!” I call out.  One of his paws twitched, but he didn't wake. I sit down near his face with a sigh. I’ll  have to wait until he wakes up naturally.

    It was about an hour later when the giant began to stir. I sigh in relief. I thought he may have gone into a coma. His paw stopped bleeding earlier, so that wasn’t a problem anymore.

    “ Sil? Sil you ok  buddy? You passed out for for a little while there.” I coo up to my half awake friend. I start to worry again when he doesn't respond for several minutes.

            “Sleepy. Hurt. feel sick. mostly fine.” he says with a yawn. He then turns back into his human form. I glance back at the cut. It didn't reopen and that made me glad.

            I sigh in relief once again. Sil should be fine. I look at his face and notice his eyes are drooping. I don't know if I should let him sleep or not, there could be a chance he doesn't wake up again.

“Sil? Bud don't go back to sleep. We need to go home.” I say as I stand up and push at his cheek with all my might.

“Why can't we just stay here?” He whines as he shifts his head a bit to the side.

“Well for one it's getting dark, two I'm worried about you because you were poisoned, three Rosey, and four… you have a bed at home” I sigh hoping he'll get up, it's not like I could drag him.

“ Fine” he mumbles and sleepily stands up. He sways a bit as he stand still. What would be the result of a falling giant? His bouncing was bad but at least it wasn't his whole body hitting the ground.  He stops swaying after a few minutes and I sigh.

“Ready to go home?” I ask looking up at his face. He slowly nods and starts walking towards the cave. I nudge the sleeping deer with my foot before following my giant friend, Rosey follows behind me.

We get to the cave in fifteen minutes. It took us so long because Sil wanted to stop and sit down many times, I had to encourage him to keep going several times. Sil sits down in the entrance of the cave. I frown up at him.

“Sil, you need to go inside the cave.” I say as gently as I can with my patience wearing thin. The giant just shakes his head no. I let out an irritated sigh then coo softy, “Why not Sil? Don't you want to be in your nice warm bed?”

Sil looks in the cave as in thought; he then stands up, and strides into the cave. I stay outside for a few more minutes until my frustration wanes. I then trot into the cave to find out if Sil went to his bed. Thankfully he did. Sil had Rosey up under his chin as he slept.

“I still don't understand how a literal giant could be taken out by a little amount of poison…” I say shaking my head in disbelief. I look up at Sil and Rosey again and wonder how I'll get on the giant's bed.

“I'll have to climb, I don't want to bother Sil anymore.” I sigh and start to move to the end of the bed, where the blanket was hanging off the side. I start to climb up the cloth. I’m about halfway up when Sil shifts in his sleep, shaking the bed and the blanket a bit. I hold onto the blanket for dear life afraid I would fall and break something. I wait with the death grip on the cloth till Sil gets comfortable and the bed stops shaking, I then quickly climb to the top of the bed.

I catch my breath for a few moments before trotting up to Sil’s neck and laying down near Rosey. As I rest something bugged me, I’ve seen that green poison before, but where? I ponder over the idea before I remember where I've seen it before. It’s a poison that if it gets into the bloodstream, will make the victim tried and lazy until it wears off.  It also serves as a tracking device; it will were off in a few days, but not before the ruthless hunters of my town come to hunt what they have marked...