Chapter 1: A Big day Indeed

Do you wrestle with dreams?

Do you contend with shadows?

Do you move in a kind of sleep?

Time has slipped away.

Your life is stolen.

You tarried with trifles.

Victim of your folly.

– Dirge for Jamis on the Funeral Plain, from 'Songs of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan.

≈ θ ≈

It was the first day of school. A big day, to say the least. Many different students in many different places were getting ready for many different schools.

In this world, its day and age, things were different, then plain. Nature had evolved humanity; people started to develop Quirks, genetic abilities that could range from miscellaneous chore-helping to godly prowess. Because of this people had used their gifts to stand above others, to fight for the top. And because of that, comic book heroes were now a reality. Many of the different students would be applying to school's that would teach the ways of heroes. And that is where our story will start, for now.

≈ θ ≈

'Are you ready for school, Ochaco?' a woman asked.

'Yes, mum!' replied her daughter.

Ochaco Uraraka was getting ready for her first day of school. To be more specific, it was her first day of schooling U.A., the best school for aspiring heroes in Japan.

'I'm all good to go!'

'That's my girl!' laughed her father, a large man with broad shoulders. 'Now then, shall we get going?'

'Y-Yeah, but... don't remember what we talked about before?—' Ochaco mumbled.

'Yes, yes, we know—' her dad teased, putting on his shoes. 'Even if you're a little embarrassed about us coming, we'll still take you to the train station. It's the least we can do!'

'Yeah, but; I can just walk... You guys have already shown me how to get there and it's not that far!'

'Ochaco, if it's too much of a problem, we don't have to walk you to the station.' her mother chimed in. Ochaco had her mother's hair, styled into a bob-cut too but a little shorter. She had her father's eyebrows though, small and tufty.

'It's not that, it's just that...' Ochaco thought about it for a second. 'Sure! Let's go!'

Both her parents smiled, getting their last shoes on and walking behind her through the front door.

Not long after, they reached the train station.

'Alright, have fun on your first day, Ochaco.' smiled Ochaco's mother. 'We can't wait to hear about it this afternoon!'

'You ace those entrance exams for us, okay?' her father chuckled. 'Not like it wouldn't be that hard.'

'Daaaadd, you know I'll give it my best! I gotta get you guys the money I promised!'

'Yeah, we know,' her father replied. 'That's why we want you to try so hard. So you can take us to Hawaii,' he teased.

Ochaco pulled a fake pout face as she began to walk inside the train station. She waved to her parents and called out her goodbyes as they did the same. They watched her until she was out of sight and for a minute longer before making their way back home.

'She's growing up so quickly...' Ochaco's mother smiled.

'Yes, she is...' Ochaco's fathered replied, holding her hand. 'Yes, she is...'