CHAPTER TWENTY ━ WHATEVER HAPPENS

(𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚝𝚠𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚢.) 𝐖𝐇𝐀𝐓𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐑 𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐏𝐄𝐍𝐒
❝ WHATEVER HAPPENS... I LOVE YOU. ❞

 ❞

"Hey."

Poet stopped walking when she felt someone grip her wrist. She smiled and her eyebrows furrowed in question as to why Diego stopped her from walking any further.

"Yes?" She questioned. He sniffed and placed a hand on the back of her neck, thumb rubbing itself on her skin. "You okay?"

"Yeah, yeah, of course," Diego nodded. "I just... I just wanted to tell you that whatever happens... I love you."

Poet smiled and hugged him, arms wrapping themselves around his neck. "I love you, too."

"I'm just annoyed that I won't get to meet that teacher who harassed you," he mumbled in her ear. The two separated and walked in front of the others, Diego glancing at the girl with a smirk as he heard her chuckle. "I'm being serious, sweets. I would've sliced his throat."

"I know you would've."

As they made it to the barn, Diego immediately placed a hand on his girlfriend's arm when she clutched her head in pain and fell to his side. Not far from them and the others, stood Five and Lila, not noticing their presence.

"She never cared about your parents," they heard Five say to Lila. "She was looking for you."

"Why?" Lila whispered.

Poet shook her head and breathed in and out quietly, calming down her excessive breathing and to get rid of the pain in her head. With the help of Diego, she stood up straight.

"'Cause you're one of us," Diego responded, now catching the attention of the two. Lila turned around and she noticed the way Poet's eyes glowed a little.

"The Handler stole you, Lila," Poet continued.

"Just like our asshole father took all of us."

"No," Lila declined. "It's not the same thing."

Diego stepped up to talk but Poet reached out a hand, having seen everything inside the head of Lila and the Handler. Paris stood not far next to her, feeling the pain and confusing Lila was feeling.

"You're right," Poet softly spoke. "Because their dad didn't have their parents murdered. Listen to me, Lila. You were born October 1st, 1989, the same day as all of us."