Chapter 24

"If I was to have a superpower it would be being lucky. Have you watched Deadpool two, being lucky is the best superpower, you get everything you want because you are just lucky, and you basically have your way in the world." Sebastian said totally sounding like a geek.

"No, I have not watched it, will check it out though if I have a chance. That sounds cool, I would just go for the lottery and would be sure to bank it all." Greenery said as he nudged Sebastian with him nudging her back. They were like five year olds as they walked side by side back to the house. They had spent another hour laying on the ground and watching the clear blue sky with nothing but silence around them.

"Exactly, me and you will get along very well." Sebastian said as he nudged Greenery with her nudging him back until it was all they were doing in the middle of the road. Something that had started so slow turned into a full competition on who would be the last. They nudged and nudged each other, laughing out loud and complaining about the other.

"Aahh, our new neighbours, afternoon." Their heads turned up so fast it was like they were robots. Stopping in their little nudging fight and quickly standing straight like kids caught doing something they were not supposed to do.

"Evening." Greenery said back after clearing her throat. It was the woman that had come to greet them with her family, the Simpsons.

"Are you from the park?" The woman asked stepping from her drive way with the boot of her car open.

"Yes," Greenery said.

"Lovely isn't it. I hope you are settling well, I was going to come over to discuss the details of your welcome party." The woman said getting closer and closer.

Greenery stood dazed.

"Party?" It was Sebastian asking for the both of them.

"Yes of course, the whole town will be there, they want to meet you all. We rarely get new folks up here, most of us grew up here and we are just excited to know more about the new members of our community." The lady said with Sebastian stepping back, out of words and deciding to just let it be.

"Does Saturday work for you all or do you prefer Friday?" She asked as the young couple stared at each other not being able to wait to get in the house so they can freak out.

"Saturday is great, thank you." Greenery said politely.

"Eight sharp then, bye." The woman said and she was already walking away.

"Bye," Greenery said back watching as the lady wearing a beautiful floral dress walked away, swaying her hips with the wind carrying the dress. They both knew she had an agenda and could not help staring at each other before shaking their heads. The nudging had stopped thank you to their neighbour and they finally made their way into the house.

"I am starving, I wonder what we have in the fridge for cooking." Greenery pointed out as they made their way into the kitchen. Sebastian had recently taken liking in cooking after buying his house. It was something he did not know but found exciting to learn and who not to learn from than the naturally good cook who was apparently his wife. He followed after her, standing by the entry of the pantry as she looked at all the food stock they had hoping she was going to suggest to cook.

"Detective Wess really went out in buying things for us." Greenery said out from the pantry where she stood picking out what she would use as she felt like in the cooking spirit which was something she liked if she was honest to herself.

"Are you good for well-done steak on pea puree served with medium cooked sweet carrots, spicy cubed potatoes and broccoli?"

"Anything you cook I am game to eat." Sebastian answered as he got in the pantry helping as she picked out all the ingredients and passing them onto him with him putting them on the counter. When everything was out he walked out with Greenery in his heel.

"Would you care for some music?"

"Yes please Mr Longford."

"Of course Mrs Longford." Sebastian said back as they both could not help but laugh. It was just weird yet in a way so appealing to both of them yet Greenery did not want to be Mrs Longford, she wanted to be called Mrs Black if she ever happened to marry. She had dreamed about it for so long and here she was being his fake pretend wife. The volume on the TV was turned on and somehow connected to the speakers all over the house. A soft slow jam played as Greenery picked up an apron and wore it over her neck, tying it around her waist. Sebastian made his way back, his eyes on her with him reaching the kitchen and picking up the apron that was laid out for him.

"What can I do?" He asked, ready to be hands on. He was never the person to sit and watch other people work, he was always willing and ready to give a helping hand in whatever was being done.

"Please peel those potatoes for now." Greenery said, pulling out the peeler for him along with a bowl filled with water where he would place the peeled potatoes.

"Thank you." Sebastian said back, happy she was letting him work with her. His eyes lingered on her as she moved around getting familiar with the space. It was like she was dancing, speed something she had mastered probably from the restaurant as she moved with such grace. It was an art really as she worked on her meat, massaging it, sprinkling this and that before touching it in ways that were so innocent yet it had him shifting where he stood.

"How did you learn to cook in such a way, you should seriously consider culinary school." Sebastian said, placing his first potato in the cool water and taking up another one to peel.

"I had to learn fast if I did not want to die from canned foods. My mother had a cook book as she loved cooking so I would pull up a stool and cook myself a meal following the recipes in the book and as time went on I got pretty good at it, adding my personal touches. When you are forced to do something for the longest time it just takes away the fun from it but now and again it feels good to just create a meal from scratch. Never thought of culinary school, will definitely have to think over it." She said shocked at how she had never thought of that, she was good at cooking and loved it when she was not forced and tired to cook yet it seemed as if there were not many opportunities in that stream of work and the pay did not seem much. She had to do something that would pay extremely well, the lord had blessed her with good brains and she had to make something big of herself to help out her father. He had done a lot for her and the least she could do was to just clear his debts and allow him the chance for an early retirement.

"You could open your own restaurant and open branches all over the world or sell your franchise. You would be sure that I would be the first to invest and you would have a lawyer, a doctor on call, a marketer, me as your business partner and Zeb as your tech guy to take your business all over the world." Sebastian spoke up, selling the idea.

"You guys should have an office, all in one service provider. I am serious, you guys practically have it all, well except for a cop to cover all y'all dirty shit." Greenery said, laughing as she wrapped the meat, leaving it to soak in all those spices and juices she had just injected in the large steaks she would cook later.

"We are working on that, don't worry. We will soon have our connection in the law enforcement. I know people hate it and think corruption is bad, well it is bad but it is how the world operates in this time. We all know someone and you cannot just let your mother or sister wait in a long queue when there is something you can do to help, you will help them out and what is so wrong with that? You have to know someone to get to the front of that line and we were smart enough to learn that at a younger age which is why we keep connections with everyone we get along with. One of the guys we were in middle school with is now working at the revenue authority and every time I need to do my taxes I just give him a call and in ten minutes it's all done. You need to be smart in this time Green."

"So you advocate for corruption Bash?" Greenery asked, teasing him as she wiggled her brows at him.

"Of course not but there are two sides to everything. Since corruption is already here and it is not going anywhere we need to make use of the good part of it."

"But as long as there are people like you who are riding on the benefits of corruption then it will never stop." Greenery spoke up as she unpacked her peas.
"I cannot stop corruption Green, I found it here and will leave it here so I will take what I can from it." Sebastian argued back.

"Change starts from you. The problem is that you expect someone else to act, someone else to fight and when they succeed that is when you want to get off your ass and join the movement. Change starts with you reporting corruption when you see it happening and not do it yourself. It may seem like nothing but it starts with helping people jump lines then accepting funds to issue illegal documents then just stealing money and committing fraud." Greenery was not backing down, preaching the word to Sebastian who stopped what he was doing, staring at Greenery and still thinking of his rebut back. 

"Okay, so you are against corruption, please enlighten me on how you got a place in Starbright high school?"

Greenery could not help but laugh.

"Low blow Bash, even for you. I am against corruption to a certain point. I actually am with you."

"What? Then why are we even arguing about this?" Sebastian threw out his arms as he shook his head not knowing why she was fighting him when she thought the same thing.

"What I said was theoretically correct yet I too just like you am willing to ride on the wave of the advantages for as long as things don't change. I am not happy about admitting it but it is what it is and besides I like seeing you fret."

"You little minx."

Greenery laughed as she continued on with prepping for her cooking. They cooked together, well, one doing of the other with the other barely assisting.

"What time did you sleep in the morning?" Sebastian asked.

"Five o'clock and woke up around half nine." She replied as she took the potatoes that were now cubed to perfection and wiped with a clean dish cloth.

"Wow, you were really into it."

"Yeah, it was fun just learning about something new, a new stage in accounting." Greenery said with her oiling and spicing the potatoes.

"I guess that means you cracked it, now I feel super dumb and stupid." Sebastian said, pulling his cute puppy eyes with Greenery not being able to hold herself from all this cuteness.

"No, there are different kinds of smart, just because I am academically smart does not mean I am smarter than you. You are business minded. You can take this potato and sell it in a minute. You can turn any business to an empire and that is why you will turn your fitness company into something big." She said as she had turned staring at him with her brown eyes that he suddenly loved so much. Something was happening in him, a chemical reaction of some sort as he stared at her with Greenery staring back. No one said a thing, their eyes locked with the chemistry having their hearts beat out loud. It was a daze and neither of them wanted to snap out of it.

Sebastian cleared his throat, swallowing as he broke contact.

"Thank you Green." He said back, somehow what she thought having a large impact to him because he was suddenly conscious on how she looked at him, what she thought of him. He wanted to say more, wanted to say something else but he suddenly found himself tongue tied, swallowing his words and just watching her as she turned and placed the tray of potatoes in the oven. He liked the way she carried herself, she acted way beyond her age, carrying wisdom that could never be taught or learn. It was amazing that she made him want to better himself, she made him want to do great things for he knew she would turn everything she touched gold. She was good for him and he was nothing but toxic for her, he blamed himself for what had happened. He did not know what he could have done but knew he could have done something. She had walked in there full of life and came out as if from the grave. She was a shell yet she continued living and pushing on and he knew at that point that he would always be there, holding her hand through it all until death came to claim its own.