Chapter 20

Silence filled the car, the sound of the rain drumming on the body of the moving car all that was being heard. A marshal with detective Wess sat at the front with Greenery and Sebastian sitting at the back. Sleep had finally set in on them after the long day they had, Greenery's head leaned on Sebastian's shoulder, his arm going around her waist with his own head on hers as they slept peacefully, not even the bumps of the car waking them. They had gone through a lot in the past twenty-four hours and it had just been the beginning of it all. They had waited for darkness to cover them before making the long journey to the new life that had been set for them. Sebastian's regret had shown, he had never been good at concealing his feelings and Greenery knew him more than he even knew himself that is why they had barely talked through the day, sat at the far ends of the car yet somehow they found the way to each other, falling asleep on the other both filled with guilt.

Detective Wess stole a glance, her heart melting at seeing the both of them. Guilt ate at her, she had promised to protect the young girl and bring justice to her yet it seemed she had failed and would never forgive herself if anything happened to either of them. She swallowed, sleep clawing at her yet she could not, she had to see this through and they were so close. They had drove the whole night, a trail of five cars, the others taking different turns one at a time so to confuse anyone who was following them if so. It was morning, the sun to rise in four hours and they had to beat it to it. The car sped through the road, fog filling it as the SUV ate the miles away.

An hour passed, followed by another with the couple getting closer and closer, the other holding onto the other as if they were life itself. The rain eased up yet the fog and cold getting worse if that was even possible. The car finally took a turn, driving on the road with beautiful suburban houses on either side. It was a beautiful neighbourhood sure the two would just stand out yet it was the perfect cover. The car took another turn as they eased up on the drive way until it stopped before a black electrical garage.

It was a beautiful two storey, modern colonial house with two bedroom, two bath, a single car garage and a beautiful back yard standing at four hundred and fifty five square metres of land.

"Guys, we are here." The detective called out yet not getting a response. She turned seeing that they were deep on it.

"Guys, we are here." She tried again, louder this time watching as Sebastian stirred, looking down to see Greenery, a sigh of relief washing over him before looking up at the detective who was watching the beginning of a love story.

"Green, wake up, we are here." He whispered in her ear, seeing her stir only to wrap her arms tighter around his waist, getting more comfortable and slipping deeper into sleep.

"Green, wake up." He said again, his hand stroking her bare arm, doing it over and over until she slipped out of it. Her eyes flickered open, falling on him and staying there for quite some time as the two stared at each other. It was so intense that anyone who watched suddenly felt uncomfortable, as if intruding like detective Wess suddenly felt, deciding to walk out of the car, closing her door.

Greenery snapped out of it, swallowing.

"Sorry," She said, mentioning to her arms, slipping them away from his waist and putting some space between them. She turned her head, her eyes taking in the surroundings. She could see a few beautiful houses yet the fog not letting her see much. The house opposite them had a front yard, a beautiful Mazda parked outside, it seeming like a middle class family stayed there. Her hand grabbed on the handle, turning it and pushing the door as it opened, cold air rushing through having her shiver with the flimsy t-shirt she wore. She stepped outside, her feet meeting the wet ground, the cold leaving goose bumps on her skin. The door closed as Sebastian closed his own. She walked around the car, meeting Sebastian where detective Wess stood.

"Lets go in." The detective said as they all followed her. They went up the porch with hardwood floors, flower pots on the sides, some on the wooden railing with a swing chair just to the right. They opened the wooden white door, Sebastian's hand taking Greenery's squeezing it for support. She looked up at him, a smile tugging on her face yet her heart bleeding.

Detective Wess showed them the whole house, telling them what she thought they would need to know and answering their questions. It was an hour later when they all stood at the door with her not wanting to leave them yet having to. It was sad and she could not help but bring Greenery to her arms, giving her a hug and pulling back.

"We will get him, I promise, be strong." She said with the young girl nodding her head as she had done two months ago when the detective had said the same words. They stood there, hand in hand as the detective walked down the steps, not being able to hold herself from turning and giving them a wave which they returned. It was a painful goodbye but hopefully the next time they saw each other it would be the day they nailed the monster away.

The detective slipped into the car and it was soon moving. Greenery watched as the car reversed out of the driveway, soon driving away. They stood there for a while, not knowing what to do or say. Greenery sighed, her eyes moving up to see a light of the house opposite them turned on in one of the rooms, a shadow of a person staring at them.

A shiver ran down her spine.

"lets go inside," She said as she quickly turned. Sebastian followed behind not failing to notice the figure himself. It was four in the morning with darkness the only thing to be seen outside. They closed the door and locked it, the hand slipping from the other as they walked up the stairs. The house was a beauty with an open floor plan, decorated as if staged for a showing. Everything was modern with a lot of fluff and glam. They each had a room, Greenery having the bedroom with the personal bathroom while Sebastian would have the bathroom shared with guest yet of course they would not have guests so it was literally his own bathroom.

"Uhm, goodnight." Greenery said, standing in front of her door, holding her handle to her room with Sebastian standing in front of his own door. Sebastian knew that Greenery had been hurt by his words, he knew she could read him like a book and he wanted to say something, yet what could he say. What was done was done and here he was with her ready to do whatever for both of their protection. He could start again if it meant starting over again after this. He had tried reaching all his friends and they had promised to watch over everything and he knew they would, there was no one he trusted and loved like his friends. They had left him behind, passing and moving on to other grades yet that had not changed anything. They became even tighter if that was even possible. They were tight like a gang of thieves, ready to do whatever for the other. It was more than friendship but more like brotherhood, the family he had found. He would cut off a finger to help anyone of them and he was sure they would do the same for him.

"Goodnight Green," He said back as she nodded.

"Thank you for all this and I am sorry to have you dragged to this."

"Its okay, you don't have to apologize." Sebastian said back, their eyes holding each other for a few seconds before Greenery pushed open her door, the daze gone with her turning away and walking in as Sebastian did the same, closing the door behind them leaving the hall empty and cold.