Chapter 18

The darkness eased away yet it was still grey with the rain not easing up along with the fog. You would be shocked that it was eight in the morning. Cars filled the highway, moving up and down with people rushing to work and school. Greenery imagined how she would be on Eng501 at this point with Mr Cole talking about essay writing or term paper writing and all that. It was warm in the car, the soft music playing like it had been for the past six hours. They would talk now and again but would not force it and just let it happen naturally. She held on his hand, feeling it warm and sweaty from her clutching it so hard. Her eyes went up staring at him and sure as expected he looked tired and just done for. They were an hour or so away, the ride so long leaving them drained to no end. She did not know what waited for them on the other side, would they give them protective detail or what. All she wanted was her life back, she wanted to live again and not be afraid, she did not want to be so sad and so scared. It was killing her, a dark cloud over her head with a huge weight over her heart.

Mr Smith had not called frantic which meant he had not went to the house that morning yet Greenery was dead with worry, she just hoped he was okay, never to forgive herself if anything happened to him. Sebastian sighed, shifting in his seat with his head on the staring wheel wanting so much to just stop and take a breather yet he knew that if he stopped getting back on the road would be really hard. His eyes trailed to the GPS seeing all those turns with the time estimated being less than fifty minutes, he sighed again, thinking of how they were near yet what were they near to. He did not know what the hell was happening or what this meant for him, he had a class in just an hour and a business meeting in three so this was all fucked up and his head was just all over the place yet as he squeezed the hand that clung to his he felt a sense of ease wash off him, just a tiny bit. They would get through this, or they would die trying. He swallowed, shaking off the tiredness and sleep before he killed them both. His eyes trailed to the gazer seeing that the fuel was low and just hoping it would last them to where they were going.

The time drifted off as they ate the miles away and soon they were in traffic leading in the city. It was just ten minutes away yet the cars filling the road were making it take so much longer than that. Sebastian thought he would burst into a thousand pieces, watching the cars move by so slowly with no way out. They pushed the line, nine turning to ten soon and finally they took the off-ramp that had just been a few miles away yet it literally took them an hour.

The tall and beautiful buildings came to light as they entered into the town, traffic being everywhere with the loud and consistent honking. It was loud and awaking from the peaceful drive they had been having but both of them were so relived as it meant they had made it. The GPS was shouting out lefts and rights for them to follow until they were sliding into an underground parking the car going dark as they went down and were soon parking in a free space. The engine was killed with the silence falling over them as they took a breather and just let it sink in. They were safe now, they were under protection and that washed over Greenery like a glass of icy water on a hot day. She gave Sebastian one squeeze, taking a deep breath before turning to look at him. The handsome bachelor looked ready to kick back his chair and take a five minute nap yet their hands slipped from the other as Sebastian pulled out the keys and opened his door. Their feet were killing them with their bladders full and just needing deliverance really. Greenery followed suite and stepped out of the car that still had long traces of red mud on its body showing that they were a long way from home. Greenery sighed, stretching out the stiff limbs and just happy they made it yet sceptic on what was going to happen now that they were here. She was happy she was not going through this alone yet guilty she had dragged him into this, lord knew he deserved better. She walked around the car after closing her door. She stood before the car, her eyes taking in other cars in this parking lot, a few people walking out of their cars wearing suits and carrying files and papers with phones held to the ears on others. To them this was just a normal and cold day where they would go through their lives as normal. There is nothing Greenery wished for at this point than normalcy, to just forget about all that happened and be normal, well, maybe that would happen after the trial and she would be free but even she knew that was something that was unlikely to happen.

A hand came slipping into hers, her face turned to the perpetrator, giving him one look and quickly looking away. No one said a thing, what could she say to him? She knew he would soon find out and just keeping all this away from him was wrong in so many ways yet all through the car she had tried hard but she just couldn't. The words always got stuck somewhere in her throat and she would be left blinking away tears. It was hard and she did not think she could tell him even if it meant leaving him.

They walked off together, making their way out of the parking lot to go to the federal building by foot. Both of them could not miss the stares thrown their way, Greenery was just wearing pyjamas and Sebastian had mud all over his shoes adding to the fact that they were barely wearing anything in this cold weather, so cold their teeth were soon to chatter with a promise of a bad flu soon. They crossed the streets, their minds set on getting in that building even though both of them were hungry, pressed, exhausted and everything uncomfortable one could imagine. The streets were busy, umbrellas everywhere as they walked and Sebastian was soon to open the one he was carrying for them, his arm going around her waist to bring her closer as they threw themselves in the wet streets. The noise was deafening with a lot of bumping happening as they walked through, the smell of fresh coffee and muffins filled the air with the bustling of a couple of names being called over a large buzzing crowd. They passed the café with Greenery barely seeing anything from her height of 5'6 foot trusting Sebastian as he paved the way for them until they were walking through glass doors that opened, the noise closing behind them. The umbrella was closed with both of them wiping their shoes on the large met at the door. The building was nearly empty with a few people moving about. There was a gate where you passed through when going through in the building, there were guards who checked for weapons with key cards used to walk further into the building. Greenery's heart went pumping as she chewed on her lower lip with Sebastian leading them to the gate where the lady stood behind a computer. There were cameras everywhere in the building, a woman passing and greeting one of the guards who seemed to be so delighted to see the woman, wishing her a good day. The cold was something for someone outside which was why most people walking in were just in their suits with barely nothing keeping them warm. They walked on until they were in front of the desk where Greenery stood, staring at the guard standing behind the desk, a smile as he picked his eyes to stare at them.

"Good morning, how can I help you?" The man behind the desk asked besides the fact that they looked like lunatics.

"Hi," Greenery said, pausing from the intensity of her voice, it sounding like something a cat could say. She swallowed, clearing her throat before trying again.

"Sorry we are here to see Detective Wess, we had an appointment." She said, it sounding better the second time.

"Name please?" The man asked as he typed something on the computer.

"Greenery Smith and Sebastian Black," She answered as he typed down the names.
"Okay, detective Wess has ran to court for some important documents but you can go up to her desk which is on the fourth floor, fifth from the front, third row and wait for her, she should be done soon." The man said, taking up some cards and giving them to us which were written 'visitors'.

"Uhm, we have a gun with us though." Greenery was quick to rush through the sentence knowing that they would not be able to get through the metal detector with it. The man's eyes were quick to shoot through with a questioning look.
"We were attacked so we took the man's gun and bagged it for fingerprints and DNA on it, uhm, we can leave it here if so." Greenery said afraid they would be arrested for carrying a firearm. The guard stared at them for a while before clearing his throat while Sebastian had his arm draped around Greenery's shoulder as a way of protection in a way.

"Leave it here and I will give it to detective Wess as soon as she walks in." The man said with Greenery quick to open the bag and quickly handing it to him.

"Okay, go on now." The man said as they nodded, moving to pass through the metal detector having no hiccups then going to the elevator which took them to the fourth floor. The doors opened, an elevator filled with so many people, most of them on phones talking business and shocked at the couple seeming to be straight out of bed. They walked out, seeing desks upon desks where some were sitting and working while others were chatting and moving around. They walked up to the desk that was supposedly detective Wess's. It was a mess, files and papers everywhere with a cup of now cold coffee that the date of its purchase was not known. They sat on the two chairs in front of the desk. Tiredness nearly had them fall off yet they sat getting comfortable for not knowing how long they would sit.

"Are you okay?" It was Sebastian asking with his hand slipping back to Greenery's who pulled a smile or tried to, turning to stare at him. He had dark circles under his eyes with his hair messy yet he still looked dashing.

"Yeah, I should be asking you that. You are the one who drove all night having barely slept a wink." She said squeezing his warm hand. There was nothing she wanted more than to take a shower, her armpits were starting to sweat having her uncomfortable.

"I am good, nothing I have not done before. Just happy you are safe." He said having Greenery tear from his gaze, looking away trying to hide her blush yet Sebastian knew, a smile spreading on his face liking it when she blushed because she just looked so cute doing it.

"Thank you for everything and I am sorry I dragged you into this, really, I don't know anyone who would do this for me. Thank you so much."

"It's okay, I am happy to be here for you." He said with silence passing by as they stared into each other before Greenery tore her eyes from this man that had her heart from the moment he said 'hello'. Everything was messed up but with him here it felt as if everything would be okay. She held on to his hand, looking up again to see him staring at her with a smile that had her crack up and give back her own.